2016 Pacific Poultry Breeders Association Show in MODESTO Saturday, Jan 30th- 31st

One Chick Two

Songster
Jun 13, 2013
Hi! If you're in California, put the 69th Annual Modesto winter show on your not-to-miss list. This will be a huge year for this show. There are some excellent judges and breeders that will be attending this time.

Pacific Poultry Breeder's Association is hosting the National Meet of the American Poultry Association. Additionally, many of the large chicken clubs will be having a Special Meet, Regional meet, District Meet or California State Meet. There will also be a Serama Table Top Show, with lots of activities for kids, with sales booths, and a chicken sale area that often has hatching eggs too.

For show entries, ENTRY POSTMARK MONDAY JANUARY 9, 2016.

Also, the Marans Chicken club will be hosting an egg show at this show. If you have Marans, and would like to enter this show, please PM me, and I'll send you the contact information. Marans egg entries have to be submitted by All entries must be received by (correction) Wednesday, January 27th., so don't wait to enter!

Your first entry is $5 and each additional is $2.50. There will be prizes and glory for the top three entries.

Here's a video I took of last year's show. If you are sensitive to noise, I suggest wearing earplugs. lol

Who else is going?

Last edited:
So I was just over on the SoCal thread, and there was some folks worrying about diseases and how they have potential to spread at big poultry shows. I wrote this up and thought it would be prudent to repost it here too:

With all this talk of disease (an admittedly very valid worry!) I'd just like to take a moment to remind everyone going to shows, especially big ones like upcoming PPBA show, quarantine is so so so important! And so is being VERY VERY VERY careful with clothing and shoes!

- Always change your clothes and wash immediately after coming home from a show, including jackets and such

- Wash/bleach your shoes worn at the show, and even after that don't wear them in the coop for a while

- Spray some viricide/disinfectant on the floorspans/mats in your car if you wore the same shoes at the show + in your car

- If you bring home birds be INCREDIBLY careful with quarantine

- Keep them as far away as humanely possible from your flock, in a place where wind/weather can't transfer dander or any bodily fluids from the quarantine birds to your flock

- Change clothes/wear different shoes when handling and feeding Q. birds, always wash hands up to the forearm afterwards

- MINIMIM 2 WEEKS QUARANTINE BUT 3+ IS HIGHLY PREFERABLE

- Quaratine applies to birds being shown too! It's plenty possible for birds to pick something up at shows, so never immediately reintroduce your own show birds after a show. Always do the two weeks separation to be safe, and don't be lazy about it just because they're your own birds.

- Use a "canary" (bird from your flock you don't like very much). Do not introduce birds without quarantining them with a canary! Birds with decent immune systems can get infected with something, show symptoms for a week or two, then recover and never show symptoms for the rest of their life while still transmitting disease! Canaries are ideal because if the birds have something, the canary will likely become infected and since its immune system hasn't experienced this disease before, it will show symptoms that will allow you to identify disease.

- Never buy birds that in any way seem droopy, lethargic, have pale combs, closed eyes, aren't noisy or active, have dirty butts, have bubbly eyes, have breathing issues, or in any other way seem abnormal and even slightly unhealthy. Just walk past. I don't care if it's a bird there's only 5 of in the country, if it's a variety or breed you've been searching for for 10 years, or just a cute little fuzzball you fell in love with at first sight. Keep walking.

Please keep in mind that while transfer via clothes/shoes is less common, it is absolutely possible, especially where water/mud/cold weather is present. However, birds are the real issue - please, just, don't ever bring in a new bird without quarantining. As someone who has first hand experienced the effects of being stupid and not quarantining, I'm begging y'all here. Just be responsible and be careful.

This is all getting a bit Debby Downer, I'm sure; and please remember that I'm not trying to freak everyone out! As long as you are smart and cautious about this, there is no reason to spend the entire show worrying about these things. The real point of the show is that we are all having fun, OK? OK. This has been a PSA.

Maybe someone could post some pics of the Orps & bantam Orps for me!
I plan on going with my camera, so I'll do my best! I'll probably need to set a reminder for myself though, as in the past I have gotten very sidetracked by the sale area.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom