2016 United Peafowl Convention

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by MinxFox, Apr 8, 2016.

Are you going to the 2016 UPA Convention?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2016.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Maybe

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    [​IMG]

The photo at the bottom is really what the condos look like where we will be staying! You can literally walk right out onto the beach without even crossing a street! The building in the front middle of the U shape of condos is the clubhouse. That is where mostly everything will take place from the auction to convention speaker presentations. Of course we will go off to visit different peafowl breeders, two of which are BYC members (AugeredIn and me).

You may even want to plan to come a day or more early or stay a few days more just to enjoy everything that Florida has to offer like the pure white sandy beaches, dolphin cruises, shopping, seafood restaurants on the water, etc. One of my personal favorite things about Florida is that we have probably the most natural springs in the world! Here is a map of all the springs in Florida: http://www.floridasprings.org/visit/map/

We will be visiting the Rocking B-A-B Ranch once again, and you may want to bring a dog box along with you just encase because you really will see some beautiful peafowl there. It is a great opportunity to be able to buy a bird in person from a large breeder rather than to have it shipped to you. Just sayin'. AuderedIn might have some birds for sale as well and he has nice birds too.

Rocking B-A-B Ranch

[​IMG]

AugeredIn

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Me (Bamboo Peacock)

www.BambooPeacock.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Other than being a peafowl breeder I am also a mermaid and if we have time between events I will probably be swimming around in the pool or the beach right by the condo if you would like to come swim with a mermaid.
    [​IMG]

I hope to see you there at the convention! Last year's convention was a lot of fun and I learned a lot of things!
    Bring your camera and camera charger as well as a notebook for recording all of the valuable knowledge that is shared at the convention. The notebook really comes in handy when we have speakers talking at the convention. I took a lot of notes when AugeredIn talked about genetics. That was a reallly good talk he gave last year so don't miss out on this year! [​IMG]

Oh and don't forget that you don't have to be a UPA member to attend the convention. I think AugeredIn said that what got him started in keeping peafowl was going to a UPA convention a few years ago and he wasn't a member.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I might be able to attend. Mainly depending on if I will have enough money and if I my professors will help me with school work before or after I leave. I'll found out around the end of August or early September.

3. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

@OkiequeenBee and I will be there!

4. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Do you know yet if you can attend?

I can't wait to see you all there!

5. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Here are some more magazine pages with more in-depth information on the convention:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was talking with Loretta Smith recently and she told me that last year people said that we should make a DVD with videos of the convention for them to purchase. People who couldn't attend the convention could also buy this DVD to see what the convention was like. I am planning on documenting more of the convention this year by taking photos and more videos and then I will combine everything into a DVD - we talked about giving the DVD to attendees for free and those who did not come will have to purchase it. We will see what we eventually decide but this idea in particular is something I am very excited about. It is a great way to not only remember the great time you have but an even better way to keep all of the informative talks well documented. I brought a notebook and a pen last year to take notes but a video would be even better.

Also remember that you can send in peafowl themed items for the convention. My family has gotten into the trend of sending me lots of peafowl items, so if you are overwhelmed with more peafowl items than you need you can get rid of some by sending them to the UPA auction.

For those of you in Florida or in a neighboring state this is your chance to go to a UPA convention that is near you. Trust me they are talking about having it on the other side of the US next year, farrrr away from Florida, so now is your chance to go before it gets too far from you. Also, it is a great excuse to go on a nice Florida vacation. You may even want to come a few days early to enjoy the beach. While we have planned to have more free-time this year, we do try and pack a lot of things in each day so it may be hard for you to do sight seeing in between all of the events lined up. The UPA President is even coming a little early to get some beach time in.

The convention will be here very soon so go ahead and sign up before the early discount is gone! I can't wait to see you there!

- Alea Kittell
    UPA BOD & Peafowl Today Editor

6. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I can't make it this year [​IMG]. Maybe next year depending on when and if it's close to Idaho or South Dakota.

7. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Just a reminder that the 2016 United Peafowl Association Convention starts tomorrow (September 8th)! Everyone will be arriving at Seaspray Condos from 2 - 4 pm.

[​IMG]

Danny Potente, the UPA President, arrived at Seaspray last night around 9 PM so that he could enjoy a full day on the beach today before the convention tomorrow. If you get to the condo early and you are not sure if anyone else is there Danny should be there so look him up.

For those not attending:
    If you are not attending continue to watch this topic. I will eventually post photos of the convention and perhaps a short teaser video.

Convention Video:
    Loretta Smith, the UPA Vice President came to me with the idea to record the convention and then make into a DVD that we can then sell to anyone that was not able to attend or to anyone that attended but wanted a good record of what happened. I will be working on filming and photographing the convention. I will especially be focusing on filming the people who are speaking at the convention because a lot of interesting and valuable information is shared at these times that many people want a copy of. If you bring a camera to the convention and take pictures and/or video please send me what you take so that I can put it into the video.

Next UPA Magazine:
    The next Peafowl Today magazine will include photos of the convention as well as an article summing up how the convention went.

For those of you coming I can't wait to see you there! For those of you who cannot attend, I hope that you will stick around for the photos and video. [​IMG]

8. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I'll be waiting here in SD.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Everyone, have fun!

-Kathy

10. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

See you tomorrow Alea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by