2016 Zodiac Hatch-A-Long - Waxing Moon in Fruitful Signs HAL

ChickenCanoe

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Nov 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Here we go!!!
This is a year long HAL for hatching by the moon. Set so eggs will hatch during the waxing moon during the fruitful signs.

SET DAYS FOR CHICKEN EGGS FOR THE FIRST 3 MONTHS OF THE YEAR ARE
January 19-21
January 27-29
February 15-17
February 23-26
March 22-24
March 31 - April 1

For other birds, please adjust set dates accordingly.

I stumbled on this old thread about hatching by the moon phases and sign.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/536525/hatching-eggs-by-the-moon-thread

So for most of the year, I'm setting eggs so they'll hatch under a waxing moon in one of the fruitful signs of Cancer, Pisces or Scorpio.

Every location will have somewhat different set times.
You can find your set times by going to http://www.lunarium.co.uk/calendar/universal.jsp, enter your location and the resulting calendar will tell you when the moon is in Cancer, Pisces or Scorpio between the New Moon and the Full Moon.

Last edited:
Also, you can go to the old farmers almanac on the web for moon phase info. It also has charts for good and bad days for various things.

I'll be setting in the next 3 days but our weather isn't cooperating.
It was 6F this morning and some eggs have frozen. I've been checking nests every couple hours.

According to legend.

"Chicks born under a waxing Moon, in the fruitful signs of Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces, are healthier and mature faster."

I'm restarting this hatch-a-long thread for the rest of 2016.

The following set dates are for chicken eggs or anything with a 21 day incubation period.
Go to the lunarium website to enter your location for specific moon signs.
http://www.lunarium.co.uk/calendar/universal.jsp?calendarYear=2016&calendarMonth=7

The set period for July ends about noon Thursday July 21, depending on one's latitude and longitude.

The August set periods for my location are:

August 15, 7:38 AM till August 17, 8:19 PM - They would hatch in September when the moon is waxing (moving toward full) in the fruitful sign of Scorpio.

August 24, 9:22 PM till August 26, 2:05 PM - So they'll hatch in September when the moon is waxing in the fruitful sign of Pisces.
(Pisces extends further but the moon will be full at 2:05 PM)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

September chicken egg set dates. Adjust your set dates/times for your species and location.

Scorpio
Sunday, September 11, 2:42 PM till Wednesday, September 14, 3:26 AM Hatch will be October 2 to October 5

Pisces
Wednesday, September 21, 7:42 AM till Friday, September 23, 10:07 AM Hatch will be October 12-14

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

October chicken set dates/times for my location.
Sunday, October 9, 12:38 PM till October 11, 9:42 AM Hatch will be from Oct 30 to Nov 1

Pisces
Tuesday, October 18, 3:45 PM till Thursday, October 20, 7:44 PM Hatch will be November 8-10

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom