2022 Chick Order From Mount Healthy Hatchery

mrskenmore

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Long Island, NY
Hi All!

Since my chicks won't be shipping until 4.27.22 I need something to occupy my time so I decided to document my Chick order journey. I have been keeping chickens for almost 8 years and am adding to a flock of 4 hens. We have shipped chicks before from Meyer Hatchery, but decided on Mount Healthy this go around for a more diverse breed selection (Meyer really needs to add in those bielefelders!) So I placed an order over the phone on 1.4.22 for 5 baby sexed females. They are a Barred Plymouth Rock, A Lavender Orpington, A Red Laced Blue Wyandotte, a Bielefelder and a Speckled Sussex.

I am super excited for another round of peepers this spring and thought I would keep you all updated along the way. We have 10 weeks to go, anyone want to share your positive stories about Mount Healthy? I went with them as our original flock was from there and they celebrated their 7th birthday last year and will be 8 this year! So healthy they are! I also wanted a hatchery that was close (ish) to us since we live on Long Island and also small orders and no roosters are important to us since we are in the suburbs and have flock restrictions (no roosters)

Super eggcited!! 🐤🐣🐥

Last edited:
Ugh right? my mom was like- that is not too long.. I am like you.. don't.. understand... I need little balls of fluff now!!! :barnie
Oh I know what you mean ! I started my incubator 2 wks ago and was checking it like every 10 min until I got my baby Silkies from a friend. 7 days to go till hatch date! But I have some distraction so its bearable,

Best wishes to all of you! Waiting is so hard! I am waiting for chicks to ship in late April, too. I am replying because when I was a kid, we used to drive past Mt. Healthy Hatchery. I always wanted to stop, and (for some reason!?) my parents never wanted to stop the car full of wriggly, badly behaved kids instead of finishing their grim trip up to visit grandparents! I still feel very fond about the place! :lol:

I just received a batch of 10 + 1 bonus from Mt. Healthy and couldn’t be more pleased with them. All birds doing great and I have another post showing pics of them. Got 1 male and 1 female Bielefelder in the group. Plus, I suspect that the bonus chick was another female Bielefelder too. I checked out about 20 different hatcheries and Mt. Healthy had the best selection for hatcheries able to ship less than 25 chicks during winter. Didn’t want to wait until winter to get my first eggs from the hens if I waited until April when I could get less chicks. Pics here:
Post in thread '11 new chicks arrived yesterday'
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/11-new-chicks-arrived-yesterday.1510959/post-25396761

oh cuteness! I can't wait to see your balls of fluff!!
Here's a pic of my Silkies a week ago( They're not as cute now)
IMG_9550.JPG

Back
Top Bottom