21-1 chics

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by redchic, Aug 27, 2013.

1. redchic

redchic New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    Vermont
    Hello. I came upon this site while trying to find an answer to why my chicken suddenly died. This is the second flock I have had. My first flock was nearly decimated by foxes last year. A friend took the remaining few chickens and I started again this spring with 12 Bardrocks from a farmer who needed to thin his flock because they could not sell all of the eggs they produced. They were about a year old at the time and have been doing well with me for about4 months now. I would like some input as to why one of the hens suddenly died yesterday. She seemed healthy but always acted a little strange.

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Try posting about your bird in the Emergencies and Diseases section of the Forum. Include her age, any signs she was showing, how your birds are housed, and what you feed them.

Sometimes birds just die without warning, and without an autopsy and possibly lab evaluation it can be hard to determine why. If your other birds are healthy, active and normal in appearance, I would not worry too much.

4. redchic

redchic New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    Vermont
    Thank you for your response. I will look on emergencies and diseases. I don't think she was ill though because she had no other symptoms. She just always acted kind of funny. They all had molted when I got them and she was the worst with red skin showing on her back and while the others had pretty much grown all of their feathers back she was just starting to recover them. I took special care of her because I noticed that she would stand in the center of the vegetable scraps I would throw out and kind of just wander around. She ate well from the feeder and was a good weight and would occasionally eat from my hand if offered. She just seemed kind of out of it and I wondered if anyone else had had an experience with a chicken like that.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]aw poor thing. Do you think maybe she was blind or had poor vision ? Since she stood in the middle of the scraps, maybe she did that because it was easier to find where the pieces were.

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and a belated [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Best of luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by