21 days and nothing?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sanchoman, Dec 4, 2010.

1. sanchoman

sanchoman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Orlando, fl
    I think today is the 21st day... but I could be wrong...

I set a few eggs into my home made incubator on the 14th early morning.

Several of them were dropped and cracked along the way but I have 2 left that I hope will hatch!

After noticing my temps were swinging anywhere from 95 - 105 I have been very worried that they may or may not make it.

A few days ago I received a hovabator in the mail and they've been in there now so hopefully the temp swings will be a thing of the past... if not for this hatch maybe for future hatches.

Is today the 21st day? Am I supposed to notice "pipping" by now?

Can I candle to see if they're on track? Oh man... I'm excited yet nervous.

2. sanchoman

Dec 9, 2009
    Orlando, fl
    I have 8 RIR and 8 EE eggs ready to go in once these are out of the bator.

I am on pins and needles hoping they're ok...

Still no pipping yet...

3. luvanimals2

luvanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Hi, Aren't you in lockdown by now? Did you increase the humidity and stop turning? Isnt it too late to candle at this point since you cannot open the incubator? I usually will see them pecking on the 20th day but this will depend on your temps. Some come early and some are a little late. I would suggest that you do some reading before you put the second hatch in the Hovabator.

Good Luck to you!

Nancy

4. sanchoman

Dec 9, 2009
    Orlando, fl
    Yes, we're on lockdown.

I don't have a device to check the humidity but the instructions on the hovabator say to fill the resevoirs, which I did.

They haven't been candled since going in.

5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    No you can't candle now. Leave them as they are for a few more days yet. I agree too that you need to do a lot more reading before you put the next lot in the incubator. I would also suggest you find a way of testing your humidity as this can make a lot of difference to the hatch. Temperature spikes can kill eggs too. Are these your own eggs or shipped eggs?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  6. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    I believe you are on day 20, not 21. If you put them in on the 14th and November has 30 days, that equals 16 days plus the 4 days in december (just typing it out to make sure I'm right). If your temperatures were a little high, they should hatch a day or two early. If your temps are low, they will hatch late. If your humidity is not high enough, I don't think they will hatch at all. But, if I were you, I would just sit back and relax. Give them a couple more days at least! Good luck!

7. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    HI, I don't have an answer about day 21. I had some hatch on day 25.....
    Just wanted to encourage you to purchase a hydrometer to check humdity before your next attempt.
    I purchased mine at pet mart in the reptile section for about $6.00.............
    Also had read here that 105 would kill the eggs but I had two spikes.1, 109 and another 106
    last hatch and they made it. The spikes were very short term though.
    Good luck [​IMG]

8. sanchoman

Dec 9, 2009
    Orlando, fl
    I appreciate all the responses!

The eggs are from my flock.

Thank you clearing up if I was on day 20 or 21!

I will definately be making a trip to the pet store and waiting a few days to see if something happens!

9. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Quote:Walmart also sells hygrometers. At my local walmart, they are where the outdoor temperature gauges are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by