21 days today

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sharaw20, Sep 26, 2016.

1. sharaw20

sharaw20 Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    So my fertilized eggs are 21 days today. I'm just wondering what do. What do I need to look for when they are hatching? if they don't hatch today could they still hatch tomorrow? what am I looking for? How long should I wait to let them hatch? if they don't hatch when should I throw them out? if they're not going to hatch what do I do help please

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    21 days is just a guide so they may hatch today or tomorrow and some even take a tad longer. At this stage you can listen for peeping from the egg, the egg moving slightly and pips in the shell. Pips can be either a small crack in the shell or an actual hole.

Please do have a read of this article ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching Lots of great info there on the hatching process in there.

Good luck and I hope you have some fluffy fluff balls soon :fl

3. sharaw20

sharaw20 Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    How often should I hear a cheep or movement. I've been in the coop a hand full of times today. And I haven't heard anything or seen any movement. Should I candle them tonight to see what's going on.

4. sharaw20

sharaw20 Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    So I just went out to candle the last three eggs I though could have been fertile. The one egg is completely blacked out. No air bubble. The other one is half blacked out and there is a air bubble. But when I rotate the egg the air bubble moves. And the third egg has the air sac but there is a bit of a wave in it on one side. But is completely blacked out on one side. They are not oozing. They do not smell. Do you think they are all bad now ? Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by