21 eggs and still laying - question about setting/eating

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chess0125, Mar 8, 2015.

1. chess0125

chess0125 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2015
    Utah
    My Rouen has been laying an egg a day for 3+ weeks. Will she ever set or am I waiting for nothing? Should I take them out and incubate them myself? Are they safe for me to eat at this point, where a bunch have been outside for several weeks? Help please

2. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    How old is your duck? Some ducks never go broody. I have had ducks for 4yrs and only ever had one brood. I personally would not eat those eggs, but i do not know if they are safe to eat. You could incubate them yourself and if you want ducklings soon it is probably your best bet. As time goes on the chance of the egg hatching goes down.They can still hatch but the fresher they are, better the chance of them hatching.

3. chess0125

chess0125 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2015
    Utah
    She's nine months old. How do I end up with a broody hen? I really want to raise ducklings [​IMG]

4. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    It is really up to the duck. I don't think there is a way to make them go broody. Leaving eggs can work but also you wast a lot of eggs. You can get some wooden or porcelain eggs and keep them in the coop. Collect the real eggs for eating. She could start to nest on the fake eggs then you would switch them when she leaves the nest. Also she is young yet. She may just need some more time. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by