21% layer feed?

debid

Free Ranging
10 Years
Jan 20, 2011
middle TN
I just opened a new bag of flock feed today and I started thinking about how I could buy layer feed next time. But, the protein is a whole lot lower and with my birds, well, they eat a lot of stuff (forage) that doesn't come from a feed bag so I worry about whether they'd get enough from a 16% layer feed (where the label clearly states that it is to be fed as a sole ration).

I've recently discovered that the county co-op store here offers a 21% protein layer feed and it says on the label "Co-op 21% Layer Ration is formulated to be fed with grain. For most efficient egg production, it is recommended that sixty (60) parts of Co-op 21% Layer Ration be fed with forty (40) parts grain or Co-op Scratch. It is important to see that consumption of grain is never more than the intake of the Co-op 21% Layer Ration. This will provide the birds with the proper balance of all ingredients." I also like that this stuff has animal protein because as pleasant as those soy-based poops are, I'm not convinced it's that great for the birds.

So, I'm wondering, is this product a better bet for someone like myself who is inclined to let the birds forage and who likes to give them kitchen scraps and garden extras? Would you mix it 3:2 as per the instructions or ???

Here is the rest of the tag data for those who know a lot about feed:

CO-OP 21% LAYER RATION
For Layer Chickens of Egg Laying Age
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein (min.) ............................................................................. 21.00%
Lysine (min.) ........................................................................................... 0.96%
Methionine (min) ..................................................................................... 0.37%
Crude Fat (min.) ..................................................................................... 3.00%
Crude Fiber (max.) ................................................................................. 5.00%
Calcium (min.) ......................................... 4.40% (max.) ....................... 5.20%
Phosphorus (min.) ................................................................................. 0.60%
Salt (min.) ................................................ 0.25% (max.) ....................... 0.75%
INGREDIENTS
Grain Products, Plant Protein Products, Processed Grain By-Products, Calcium
Carbonate, Animal Protein Products, Forage Products, Dicalcium Phosphate, Animal Fat and
Vegetable Oil with Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Salt, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A
Acetate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Roughage Products, Niacin Supplement,
d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulphite, Biotin,
Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Ferrous
Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Copper Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt
Carbonate, and Mineral Oil.

I give mine just 21% layer pellets. They get to forage on the weekends when I am home. Each morning I toss out half a scoop of scratch shared between four pens. They get fruit scraps periodically. That's it. Mostly they eat the layer pellets. All are nice and fat and fluffy.

Mine also comes from the local co-op. I switched to 21% after having a bunch of hatching issues. During spring/summer I primarily hatch my eggs instead of eating them. The chicks come out nice and strong and healthy. I love the stuff.
smile.png

Hey, neighbor!
lol.png
Glad to hear from someone who buys and uses their product! So, you aren't measuring anything?

I switch feeds but Agway has a layer pellet that is 21%. Some others are 16 and Dumor is 18% I think. I also free range and give scratch. I toss fruit, bread and greens, which they love. I just got two bags of Nutrena and found it to have 16% which I'm not fond of. I do however give BOSS.

Nah. I don't measure. I fill the feeders with pellets so they can eat what they want throughout the day. I do tend to toss out higher protein foods in the winter. They get to range a LOT more in the summer when the days are longer. In the winter I toss out scratch, BOSS, high protein suet, dry catfood and the occasional can of tuna. Summer is pretty much just layer pellets and whatever they scavenge from the yard. I don't do any of the extra stuff in the summer.

Are you getting your pellets at the Rutherford County Co-op? That's what mine are eating. They are noticeably healthier than when I had them on the Purina and the Dumor stuff. I like it a lot.

I'm in Wilson but this co-op feed is distributed regionally so it's the same stuff here. I haven't actually bought any yet -- I pretty much just stumbled across the information that they had their own product line so I thought I'd look into it. I'd really like to shop at the local mill but they only have mash and I'm not sure I want mash.

Back
Top Bottom