21 week old Australorps & no eggs. Go ahead and switch to layer feed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LauraP, Sep 17, 2009.

1. LauraP

LauraP Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    High Rock Lake, NC
    Hello all.

I have 3 black australorps who are 21 weeks old and not laying yet. Their combs are definitely red, but they're not really squatting or acting more docile yet. We're not feeding layer feed. I thought you were supposed to wait until they started to lay because they didn't need the extra protein. But now I just read somewhere else that you are supposed to be feeding them layer feed once they are 19 weeks. Should I start now?

Also, they don't free-range much. Most days they get out for an hour or so, but not every day, so the likelihood that they are laying somewhere else is pretty slim.

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I switched my hens at 19 weeks when my grower/starter food ran out. They started laying at 20 weeks (well, one of them!).

3. LauraP

LauraP Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    High Rock Lake, NC
    Thanks. Anyone know any reasons I shouldn't switch?

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    No. They are deffinently old enough to switch food. [​IMG] I would start mixing it half and half. Sometimes they don't like change. You should be getting beautiful, small light brown eggs. My BA has been laying for almost a month. The eggs are still small but at least she's laying. Now, it only the other girls would get the hint. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by