21 Week Old Buff Brahma Possibly Ill - Any Help Greatly Appreciated

NNCCityChickenKeeper

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2019
Hi all,

First time posting here so forgive any formatting/nomenclature errors.

I have two Buff Brahmas and four other chickens. The Brahma I’m worried about is 21 weeks old and is usually very spritely, friendly, and curious. Her sisters are also doing just fine, running around and eating/drinking. No eggs yet even though the oldest ISA browns are 24-25 weeks old...

Anyways, she started hanging out in the coop with my lavender orpington girl about two-three days ago. Both of them would just sit in the nesting box all morning and wouldn't come out until after I returned home from work. The lavender orpington seems to be over it, but, she's still doing that, however, now she seems lethargic and I haven't seen her eat, she pecked at the waterer nipple today but not much. Normally they all burst out of the coop and go straight for the food and water when I let them out but she barely ventures out at all. When I take her out she sometimes gets really pissy and runs straight back into the coop.

In the nesting box she's been chilling in, I've seen some rather small, solid greenish poops, no big ones. Today she dropped a very slimy, tiny, bright green poop. Today, all she really wants to do is sleep and she squats and closes her eyes and leaves them closed often. Her crop isn't large and hard either, and her vent is very clean as well as her feathers. She has no signs of mites either. I have no idea how to feel for an egg and videos online have not been helpful whatsoever. We use no pesticides and neither do our neighbors. We live in the city. Hopefully all these descriptors help.

She is looking like her feathers around her neck are very fluffed up, but I don't feel anything wrong there. Could someone lead me in the right direction? I'll likely take her to the vet Monday, whenever I can get a visit because I am very attached to the Brahmas and I raised all of the chickens by hand. These are my first chickens and my flock is very small and this has turned into an EXTREMELY expensive hobby.

The weather here is cooling off, 77-87 degrees at peak heat. She gets DuMor 15-16% grower/finisher feed and water whenever she wants. I haven’t tried giving her any treats, but she’s never been much for them anyways. I wouldn’t know what to put in mash so I haven’t fed that either.

Not sure how to help her but you are feeding your layers a meat bird food. The could use a little more protein and soon will need layer ration. Mash is made by just adding water to their food and letting it soak and soften up. It wouldn’t hurt to try some Nutrdrench on her

I want to give you some advice. Do not take them to the vet unless you have to.... My vet charges me 340 for testing. The state lab in Florida charges me 10 dollars. :l

Anyways, she started hanging out in the coop with my lavender orpington girl about two-three days ago. Both of them would just sit in the nesting box all morning and wouldn't come out until after I returned home from work.

When I take her out she sometimes gets really pissy and runs straight back into the coop.
Is she spending all her time in the nesting box? She could be broody. Does she growl and puff up her feathers if you come near her when she's in the nesting box?

It would be hard to know exactly what is going on with her without getting some droppings checked for coccidiosis and worms by your vet. She might be suffering from something related to her reproductive system, or have something else going on. A vet that is familiar with chickens would be good to see. Or you could go ahead and give her some Corid and treat for coccidiosis. What is your location and climate like? Has it been warm and wet recently? I would separate her with food and Corid water. Offer some feed mixed with water in a small bowl, some scrambled egg, tuna, or canned cat food. A poultry vitamin with electrolytes would also be good. If you start Corid, stop the vitamins while on Corid. Corid dosage is 1.5 tsp of the powder, or 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water as her only water. It is safe enough for other chickens. It would be unusual to become broody before laying any eggs, but you could rule that out.

Back
Top Bottom