21-week-old ISA w/ large growth in chest area.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DaniLovesChickens, Jul 18, 2010.

1. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    [​IMG]I have 16 pullets, 6 ISAs. I noticed one moving her head in a circle. When I looked at her straight on, I could tell that something about her chest wasn't right. One whole side of her chest has a very large (golf ball size/shape) lump on it. I carefully picked her up to bring her outside to spend some "one-on-one" time with her. She seemed to walk a little slowly, but otherwise ok. She ate grass and did everything else fine. Back inside she flew up onto the roof (about 2 1/2 foot off the ground). She flew down fine, if maybe a little carefully. Later in the day I saw her holding both of her wings out and kind of panting. She didn't have the rapid throat movement though. It was humid today, but none of the other chickens was doing it.
    The lump seems to be semi-hard. It's not like a rock, but not soft like skin either. Someone please help me!!

2. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Sounds like she just has a full crop ,and it might be alittle warm outside, it will go down ,full crops i think are usually off to one side do you have pics?

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi and [​IMG]
    Right side of her chest? Are you sure it's not just her crop being overfull with food?
    Check it at roost time in the evening and then again in the morning. If it's soft and almost gone in the morning you'll have your answer; it was just an overfull crop.

4. DaniLovesChickens

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    I just went out to check on her...again. I think that you are both right although I will try to get a picture. My husband and I were looking and a lot of the others seemed to look the same way although not as severe as the before mentioned pullet. We got some fresh sand to put in the run and they all seemed very happy to have it. The only ones that I didn't see look like that were our two light Brahmas and my Ameracauna Mimi.
    We just put a new tube feeder in with them so I think that they may be eating more than they were before. It never crossed my mind to make sure to provide extra dirt for them. They always had plenty of dirt before, they kind of make sure of that.
    Thank you so much! I was so afraid that we were going to lose her. I hate looking up chicken diseases. Who knew that raising chickens was really this involved? I guess maybe it only is if you love them:D

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'll bet when you check her in the morning you'll find her lump is gone. [​IMG]
    I only look up chicken diseases on a need-to-know basis. There's a lot of diseases out there. Chances are your chickens will never see a single one of them.
    Just provide them with good care and enjoy them. [​IMG]

6. DaniLovesChickens

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    I just went out to check on the chickens. Most of them look back to normal.
    The one ISA, however, does not.[​IMG] It's so sad to see her standing there like that. I took some pictures of her, trying to get a good view of how huge her right chest is. It almost looks like an out of place joint though I know it isn't. That's really the best description of how it looks though. I'm considering taking the feeder out for awhile today to see if that helps too.
    My Mimi is on the bottom of the pecking order so therefore eats last and less and she doesn't have the chest swelling. I think she's on the bottom of the pecking order because they're jealous of her beauty and intelligence:love

I will post a couple of pictures of her on my page to show what it looks like if anyone is interested

7. DaniLovesChickens

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are two pictures of my ISA. At least I hope the pictures work.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  9. DaniLovesChickens

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    [​IMG] I separated my "croppy" feeling ISA from the rest of the chickens. I put vegetable oil down her throat, well behind the hole in the tongue, as I read to do. Then I off and on rubbed the crop. You could hear it make noises and that sour smell I read about was most assuradly there. She seemed really sleepy. I let her rest a little then tried massaging from the bottom of the crop upwards while tipping her to see if she would throw up. I tried this a couple of times with no sucess.
    She is now in a cage with water, a small dot of yogurt and very small pieces of oil soaked bread. She did poop. Dark green, but otherwise normal, but there was also dark green diarrhea as well. Isn't that a good sign if she poops? I though I read that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by