21 week old pullets...no eggs...I'm going crazy!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LindsayB, Aug 5, 2010.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I have been waiting patiently for our girls to start giving us eggs and now its driving me crazy. I have one Barred Rock and 2 Easter Eggers. One EE is about 3 weeks older. They haven't been interested in the nest box at all and don't do the 'chicken squat' thing. Is it still too early? Or maybe the heat? I just figured they would be laying now or getting close.

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Most of my chickens slow way down when it gets this hot. They may just be waiting for the weather to cool down except in the case of the EEs. EEs (being a mixed breed it varies) can take 8 months to start laying. BRs are usually 20 weeks to POL though so it must be the heat.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Songster

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    They just need more time. As SunnyDawn said they may take 8 months, and I even had birds wait until next spring. If I remember correctly my barred rocks took 6-7 months to lay, and the E.E’s vary. I wouldn’t worry about, but do keep an eye out, sometimes they don’t lay their eggs in nesting boxes.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

EEs just take forever. They're on their own sweet schedule. BRs usually between 20 and 24 weeks, as SunnyDawn says.

My BA took 22 weeks. My first layer was a BSL (Black SexLink), she started at 21 weeks.

Patience, grasshopper. [​IMG]

5. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Songster

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    We've had a wide range of time for first laying. In my new flock, 22 weeks was when we got our first eggs from one of our Cuckoo Marans. The other one is not laying yet. Among the other birds in that flock, we have two mystery egg-layers, and one EE who is just now 22 weeks, and laid yer first olive egg yesterday. So cute!!! [​IMG]
    My last batch of EE's didn't start until over seven months. It just varies from bird to bird. I know it's not easy to wait.

6. Indy acres

Indy acres In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Lebanon In.
    Our chickens turned 19 weeks yesterday mine are not doing anything they are supposed to be doing like the squat thing or the chicken song all they do is eat, I had to buy another dozen of eggs yesterday can't wait until mine start laying so the egg money can buy some feed for a change![​IMG]:jumpy:yiipchick:cd

7. rosiethechicken

rosiethechicken Songster

Aug 2, 2010
    If its any consolation, my 5 BRs are 21 week and did not lay yet. They are bright red combs etc, but no eggs.
    Still waiting..

8. mediazeal

mediazeal Songster

Feb 26, 2009
    mine took 24-26 weeks

9. EmsChooks

EmsChooks In the Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    England, Uk
    Frustrating I know, I have 3 girls aged 27 weeks who are still not laying [​IMG]

10. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG] I think it's a great chicken conspiracy. All the chickens have had a meeting and decided to drive us humans crazy. They figure if we want eggs...then NO there will be no eggs.

[​IMG]

I have 2 leghorns (19 wks) that have started laying...but only 1 egg per day....and not each...just opposite days of each other. The others are just sitting around twiddling their wing feathers and saying, "Huh? Us? Oh yeah...soon...." LOAFERS!!! [​IMG]

It's a CHICKEN CONSPIRACY I tell YA!!! [​IMG]

(Don't tell the chickens we're on to their plan) BTW..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by