21 weeks and still waiting... (Photo)

Blueicebird

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Watkins Glen
It's been 21 weeks and still no eggs, they don't even seemed interested in the boxes in the hen house. My 2 Rhode Island Rocks (Rhode Island Reds mixed with Barred Rocks) are slacking. Should I bring the egg boxes outside? I am kinda getting impaient. My younger Americauna seems more interested in nexting than my RIR. Ugg... Maybe it's the first time Chicken owner thing.... But I want some Eggs!
big_smile.png

Mercedes
189240_529473175929_157800513_30859176_198205_n.jpg

The other RIR busting a photo shot of my Tetratints and Americauna.
282187_529996033119_157800513_30868279_1795530_n.jpg

My Crazy looking, raptor impersonating, Silkie
226131_529996013159_157800513_30868277_5418716_n.jpg

And my Khaki Campbell ducks are being lazy too!! Should I do anything special for their nesting habits?
252029_529444398599_157800513_30858869_5525979_n.jpg

hang in there, you will get an egg any day now. one question, are you feeding them laying pellets? try putting a couple of golf balls in the nesting boxes. also look around your coop, some of mine didn't lay in the boxes at first.

i got my first egg at about 22 weeks, once they start look out!!
cool.png

None of your birds look really "ready" to lay. Their combs are still small and dark and their faces are pale. A few weeks before laying their combs/wattles will become much larger and very red, and their faces will look very red as well. Your girls still look weeks out.

If it makes you feel any better, my girls of various breeds, don't even start thinking about laying until 24 weeks. Even then I have pullets that are 6 months old and havent laid their first eggs yet.

Make sure your girls have adequate access to sunlight and at least 16 hrs of light a day--this should help speed things up.

Yep, they are on laying feed, scratch and I throw some bird seed in there cuz they think it's a treat. They also eat whatever scraps we come across from cooking or the graden out back.

The Black one has a black face and comb, but hers is the largest, I will get a close up shot today.

They have an open coop so they are free to go out into the pen whenever they choose, and I let them free range whenever I am home (Although my rooster, Puck, flys up and over whenever he sees fit). The coop is small enough so I can check it just by walking by. My mom thinks they are hiding eggs, but there is no place to hide them.

Mercedes looks like an Australorp. And I too am waiting and I am up to 23 weeks now!! Nothing!. Not a single brown egg. So I guess we are both waiting on Aussies to lay.
smile.png

Lol Waiting is the hardest part, next to chopping their cute lil necks. And she is All Rhode Island Rock (Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock mix). Wonder if she would pass for an aussie tho... hmm lol

Quote:
Australorps can have Barred Rock or Rhode Island Red in them. Aussies are usually a cross of a Black Orpington and a Barred Rock or Rhode Island Red. So your girl really does have that Aussie look, AND the late laying!!!!
smile.png

I got my first egg yesterday from my 23 week old rhode island red. So far, none today. My 23 week old EE and 20 week old SS are squatting and singing the egg song, but no eggs.

I think they are taking their good ol time and lay when ready. I feed starter and oyster shell on the side due to the ages in the flock. Our first egg was nice and hard.
smile.png

Good luck, I hope you get yours soon.
fl.gif

Quote:
Australorps can have Barred Rock or Rhode Island Red in them. Aussies are usually a cross of a Black Orpington and a Barred Rock or Rhode Island Red. So your girl really does have that Aussie look, AND the late laying!!!!
smile.png

Gotcha!

None of your birds look really "ready" to lay. Their combs are still small and dark and their faces are pale. A few weeks before laying their combs/wattles will become much larger and very red, and their faces will look very red as well. Your girls still look weeks out.

I have to agree as new to the chicken world as I am. I seen BIG changes almost overnight in the size of combs, and wattles, along with the color. They got bigger, and MUCH more red....it was stunning to see.

I have to agree, you have a while out..Plus as i was told on here to look for the "squat"? Well, when they do it, you know...LOL

Strnage but you do!

Waiting is SO hard...but worth the wait !​

Back
Top Bottom