21 weeks and still waiting... (Photo)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blueicebird, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    It's been 21 weeks and still no eggs, they don't even seemed interested in the boxes in the hen house. My 2 Rhode Island Rocks (Rhode Island Reds mixed with Barred Rocks) are slacking. Should I bring the egg boxes outside? I am kinda getting impaient. My younger Americauna seems more interested in nexting than my RIR. Ugg... Maybe it's the first time Chicken owner thing.... But I want some Eggs! [​IMG]

Mercedes
    [​IMG]

The other RIR busting a photo shot of my Tetratints and Americauna.
    [​IMG]

My Crazy looking, raptor impersonating, Silkie
    [​IMG]

And my Khaki Campbell ducks are being lazy too!! Should I do anything special for their nesting habits?
    [​IMG]

2. Jim2448

Jim2448 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    hang in there, you will get an egg any day now. one question, are you feeding them laying pellets? try putting a couple of golf balls in the nesting boxes. also look around your coop, some of mine didn't lay in the boxes at first.

i got my first egg at about 22 weeks, once they start look out!![​IMG]

3. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    None of your birds look really "ready" to lay. Their combs are still small and dark and their faces are pale. A few weeks before laying their combs/wattles will become much larger and very red, and their faces will look very red as well. Your girls still look weeks out.

If it makes you feel any better, my girls of various breeds, don't even start thinking about laying until 24 weeks. Even then I have pullets that are 6 months old and havent laid their first eggs yet.

Make sure your girls have adequate access to sunlight and at least 16 hrs of light a day--this should help speed things up.

4. Blueicebird

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    Yep, they are on laying feed, scratch and I throw some bird seed in there cuz they think it's a treat. They also eat whatever scraps we come across from cooking or the graden out back.

The Black one has a black face and comb, but hers is the largest, I will get a close up shot today.

They have an open coop so they are free to go out into the pen whenever they choose, and I let them free range whenever I am home (Although my rooster, Puck, flys up and over whenever he sees fit). The coop is small enough so I can check it just by walking by. My mom thinks they are hiding eggs, but there is no place to hide them.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Mercedes looks like an Australorp. And I too am waiting and I am up to 23 weeks now!! Nothing!. Not a single brown egg. So I guess we are both waiting on Aussies to lay. [​IMG]

6. Blueicebird

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    Lol Waiting is the hardest part, next to chopping their cute lil necks. And she is All Rhode Island Rock (Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock mix). Wonder if she would pass for an aussie tho... hmm lol

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:Australorps can have Barred Rock or Rhode Island Red in them. Aussies are usually a cross of a Black Orpington and a Barred Rock or Rhode Island Red. So your girl really does have that Aussie look, AND the late laying!!!! [​IMG]

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I got my first egg yesterday from my 23 week old rhode island red. So far, none today. My 23 week old EE and 20 week old SS are squatting and singing the egg song, but no eggs.

I think they are taking their good ol time and lay when ready. I feed starter and oyster shell on the side due to the ages in the flock. Our first egg was nice and hard.[​IMG]

Good luck, I hope you get yours soon.[​IMG]

9. Blueicebird

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    Quote:Australorps can have Barred Rock or Rhode Island Red in them. Aussies are usually a cross of a Black Orpington and a Barred Rock or Rhode Island Red. So your girl really does have that Aussie look, AND the late laying!!!! [​IMG]

Gotcha!

10. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    None of your birds look really "ready" to lay. Their combs are still small and dark and their faces are pale. A few weeks before laying their combs/wattles will become much larger and very red, and their faces will look very red as well. Your girls still look weeks out.

I have to agree as new to the chicken world as I am. I seen BIG changes almost overnight in the size of combs, and wattles, along with the color. They got bigger, and MUCH more red....it was stunning to see.

I have to agree, you have a while out..Plus as i was told on here to look for the "squat"? Well, when they do it, you know...LOL

Strnage but you do!

Waiting is SO hard...but worth the wait !​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by