1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

21 weeks, not laying, but they look mature - WE HAVE AN EGG!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joskt0204, Aug 17, 2011.

1. joskt0204

joskt0204 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    east TN
    They are so friendly these days. I have four, various breed, free ranging all day and in a coop at night. I am ready for some eggs! I have golf balls in the nest boxes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I dont think they are ready just yet, especially the EE. However, if they free range all day, you could have hidden nests all over your land. Looks like there would be lots of good places to hide eggs.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The Barred Rock is ready, the Speckled Sussex is far from ready, the Easter Egger is far from Ready, the Black Australorp I'd give another week or two.

4. joskt0204

Apr 9, 2011
    east TN
    I hope there aren't nests everywhere. We spent all day clearing in the woods, but of course, that doesn't mean we would necessarily find them.

Tango (you said Barred Rock, but what I ordered was a Dominique, but it doesn't matter, she is the coolest, friendliest, most talkative chicken ever) may be younger, but she does look the most mature.

Whiskey is the speckled sussex, and she is probably quite younger, when I ordered her, they said she was hatched the same week as my others. I thought she was a bantam, because she was supposed to be the same age but was so much smaller. She has just about caught up in the last week or two.

Oscar, who is an Americauna, if you trust Co-op, was hatched 3/17, as was the Black Australorpe, Echo. I bought them on 3/18, so I'm confident on their age. They don't show any signs at all of being ready. Well, they don't even really act like they are girls.

I sure hope to find at least one egg this week. We've been expecting eggs since late July, since we met some people buying chicks at Co-op, who had bought chicks the same day in 2010, and had eggs by 7/24/10. It has been really hot this year, so maybe it has slowed them down.

5. ky-chicken-farmer

ky-chicken-farmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Your Dominicker should start ANYTIME... The BA is close also. The others are still a few wks out

6. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    yes deff a dom! doms have rose combs, bared rocks have strait combs. I agree your doms looks close, I have 2 doms that are 19 wks now and is looking very close just like yours. I love my doms as well, they are so sweet. They are the only girls I have that like being held.

7. rhpues

rhpues Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Timmonsville sc
    nice flock!

8. joskt0204

Apr 9, 2011
    east TN
    I asked here for breed advice before I got Tango and Whiskey, and I bought Tango based on the recommendations that Doms are friendly and funny. I absolutely bought chickens for personality rather than egg laying ability. They are really just pets. I love having four totally different ones. They are a ton of fun.

9. team_metzer

team_metzer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2008
    I have a dom that looks about like the same age as yours. She is a hoot..She laid me one egg last Monday. When I go out to feed my hens, she will peck my feet while I am feeding. I can lay my hand on her back stick my fingers under wing and scratch her. Then she will go eat wiwth the others. If I am outside reading she will get under the chair where I am setting and lay between my feet. I never gave her any more attention than the others. She just stands out..I think you will be happy with your choice of birds.

10. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    Don't have anything to contribute, but I just wanted to say that your Dominique is beautiful. What a pretty hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by