21st Day and no pips :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kullas, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    I started out with right 30 eggs half Delaware and half Barred Rock. at day 10 i tossed almost all the BR and 4 of the Delawares due to bloodrings and clear. At day 21 i have no pips [​IMG] I plan on letting them sit until day 25 maybe they are just late [​IMG]

2. briesberrypatch

briesberrypatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2008
    Yellow Springs, OH
    Oh, I'm sorry to hear it. I just bought a Hovabator and can't wait to hatch some eggs. Stories like this make me nervous about trying.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Kullas--is there any chance your incubator temp was a bit low? If so, your eggs will take a few extra days to hatch. What kind of incubator are you using? The still air models need a higher temp than the 99.5 that is used in a circulated air bator. Also, the thermometers that come with the incubators are usually not very reliable, so you may think the temp is good when actually it's low.

I'm planning to run my bator about 1/2 a degree higher on my next hatch, because even though the thermometers both read around 99.5, my hatches were both a day late. I want to see if I get better (and faster) results at a slightly higher temp.

Did you candle right before lockdown? What were the results?

I'll keep my fingers crossed that all is well and you'll have sweet pips tomorrow morning! [​IMG]

And briesberrypatch--Don't be nervous! You hear about all the problems here, because this is where we come for help. For everyone who is having a problem, there are plenty of others who are not (and only some of them are posting). Incubating is absolutely addictively fun, and worth the tribulations of the first few hatches. You are going to love it. And the Hovabator is a great first incubator--you shouldn't have too much trouble--just read all the stickies about incubating, and come here for tips and trick and help with your problems. You'll be fine. [​IMG]

4. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    did you calibrate your hygrometer?? you know test it?? to see if the readings are right on the humidity??? what kind of bator??? Im on day 20...and have had one hatch...8 pips...in 24hrs...so dont give up, my last hatch I pipped on day 24 late late in the day...good luck.

5. Kullas

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    I have a still air hova. i just got done hatching some Orps and didnt change a thing. Im using a digital temp with a inside and outside temp reading I have the outside temp probe in a water wiggler the wiggler stayed at 99.5 tp 100 and the inside gauge stayed at 101 to 102. the. I did candle right before lockdown and these are the eggs i have left [​IMG] they was solid dark besides the air cell. [​IMG] maybe they are just late [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is odd. I'd give them till at least day 23, in case your instruments were off a bit.

7. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    yeah I agree, dont throw the towel in yet...give them time, what do you have to lose?...GOOD LUCK....I just hatched my 2nd chick!!! 28 to go...[​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Anything yet, Chris?

9. Cherokeerainbow

Cherokeerainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Turner, Maine
    Same thing here (using forced air hova bator though)
    They were due yesterday...still nada today.
    I bought them from texas though so I figure they might be older eggs and I'm hopeing to see something tomorrow [​IMG]...although its hard to not be disappointed. [​IMG]
    Plent of humidity and temp correct (use digital)...Just hatched a few langshan crosses, bator works fine.
    I sure hope they hatch (Serema's) the waiting is killing me.
    I wished I could have candled but I broke the dern thing and have another on the way....
    Hopeing!!![​IMG]

10. Kullas

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    Still nothing yet. the end of day 21 was at 6pm today so im starting on day 22 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by