.22 cb short for butchering chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by NCBantam22, Mar 14, 2013.

1. NCBantam22

NCBantam22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2013
    29 grain bullet a 710 fps, very accurate out of my marlin 39a. Would a headshot on a Cornish X Rock work?
    I know that it will kill it just wondering about overkill?

2. bilder

bilder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, Oregon
    Why waste ammo?

Just take a knife and take the head off or cut the artery and bleed them out. Plus you do not have to worry about ricochet or other such stuff with a knife.

I would vote overkill. Save the ammo for squirrels and other small game.

3. AgroUrica

AgroUrica Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    I never liked the concept of head shots on any animal. A slight move on the part of the animal, and you've got a seriously injured animal running around the place. Had a guy in my deer club who'd do head shots on deer. I told him the day he came in with a tale of blowing a deer's jaw off I was going to do a head shot on him. He finally switched to neck shots.

4. srm220

srm220 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    Watch a video... buy or make a killing cone. it is the way to go!

5. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Shooting is going in a direction you don't want to go.

6. NCBantam22

NCBantam22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2013
    What about neck shots? Got 500 rounds of cb shorts and 3000 rounds of .22 lr hollowpoints.

7. Mikedero

Mikedero Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Watertown CT
    Waste of time just a knive works.

Save the ammo it is hard to come by.

I have never heard of this take the advice. But this being a forum board you never know when someone is just trolling around

I take that back 4 out of 5 posts all about shooting something. Just a FYI if your shooting a dog with a BB gun you are asking to be arrested and having Peta all over you. Also gives the rest of us gun owners a bad name. it is already a uphill battle just trying to keep guns. In my state all the gun manufacturers are tihnking about leaving. i

If you want to shoot go to the range have fun that is what I do

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I first got my butchering lessons in the late 1950's. We learned then to pull the wing feathers back to the legs, and hold the bird securely with one hand. A quick chop on the block with the other hand and it was over.

The reason I was taught to hold the wings at the ankles is that although the bird was de-capitated, the whole running around or even wing flapping "bruised" the meat. I was taught to hold the bird securely, bleeding it out. Then into a cylindrical pail to hold securely.

My folks were sticklers about not having the meat bruised. I couldn't imagine shooting the 200-250 birds we had to process. If you want to shoot something, go hunting. I enjoy hunting as well as the next guy, but it's the wrong way to process chickens, imho. Great way to process pigs, however.

9. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  10. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    You do know that the .22 bullet will travel a mile and just may make a stop somewhere ( like an unaware person or someone's livestock ) before it's intended extended route stop !!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by