.22 cb short for butchering chickens

NCBantam22

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
29 grain bullet a 710 fps, very accurate out of my marlin 39a. Would a headshot on a Cornish X Rock work?
I know that it will kill it just wondering about overkill?

Why waste ammo?

Just take a knife and take the head off or cut the artery and bleed them out. Plus you do not have to worry about ricochet or other such stuff with a knife.

I would vote overkill. Save the ammo for squirrels and other small game.

I never liked the concept of head shots on any animal. A slight move on the part of the animal, and you've got a seriously injured animal running around the place. Had a guy in my deer club who'd do head shots on deer. I told him the day he came in with a tale of blowing a deer's jaw off I was going to do a head shot on him. He finally switched to neck shots.

What about neck shots? Got 500 rounds of cb shorts and 3000 rounds of .22 lr hollowpoints.

Waste of time just a knive works.

Save the ammo it is hard to come by.

I have never heard of this take the advice. But this being a forum board you never know when someone is just trolling around

I take that back 4 out of 5 posts all about shooting something. Just a FYI if your shooting a dog with a BB gun you are asking to be arrested and having Peta all over you. Also gives the rest of us gun owners a bad name. it is already a uphill battle just trying to keep guns. In my state all the gun manufacturers are tihnking about leaving. i

If you want to shoot go to the range have fun that is what I do

Last edited:
I first got my butchering lessons in the late 1950's. We learned then to pull the wing feathers back to the legs, and hold the bird securely with one hand. A quick chop on the block with the other hand and it was over.

The reason I was taught to hold the wings at the ankles is that although the bird was de-capitated, the whole running around or even wing flapping "bruised" the meat. I was taught to hold the bird securely, bleeding it out. Then into a cylindrical pail to hold securely.

My folks were sticklers about not having the meat bruised. I couldn't imagine shooting the 200-250 birds we had to process. If you want to shoot something, go hunting. I enjoy hunting as well as the next guy, but it's the wrong way to process chickens, imho. Great way to process pigs, however.

Last edited:
You do know that the .22 bullet will travel a mile and just may make a stop somewhere ( like an unaware person or someone's livestock ) before it's intended extended route stop !!!
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom