1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

22 day old chick with sticky eyes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sandraowens, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Sandraowens

Sandraowens New Egg

Sep 22, 2015
    [​IMG]
    I can't upload the picture but my chick looks like this, how do I fix it, should I separate it? help!

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Yep, isolate it immediately. Does she show any other symptoms? (e.g. nasal discharge or rasping breathing?). Either way, you may wish to consider cleaning the eyes in a mild saline solution (or luke warm water) and then administering antibiotic eye drops (e.g. Neosporin Ophthalmic Ointment / drops) and add vitamin supplements to the water - helps the immune system to fight whatever is going on. If there are other symptoms, then giving a broad spectrum antibiotic to the water may either address her problem, or at worst fight off any secondary infections. Personally, i only do the latter if the chicken is showing symptoms of general illness - lethargy, not eating or running around doing "chicken things".

All the best

CT

3. Sandraowens

Sandraowens New Egg

Sep 22, 2015
    yes

4. Sandraowens

Sandraowens New Egg

Sep 22, 2015
    it started sneezing last night and I have seen white goo in its eyes

5. Sandraowens

Sandraowens New Egg