22 degrees inside coop, watering nipples not frozen!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sixty7x, Dec 19, 2010.

1. sixty7x

sixty7x Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Warwick RI
    Like many others here, I've been battling the frozen waterer. I've been using a homemade pvc water dispenser with the nipples and they would freeze up in no time. Yesterday I put a bird bath de-icer(bought from amazon for $36) in the container. Just checked it and nipples are free of ice and operational! I've got it plugged into a gfci. My water container probably holds 2 gallons of water. I only have 3 hens so it's plenty big enough for me. If you had a larger container, say up to 5 gallons, I think it would still be o.k. In my head i thought it would work, but was still concerned about the nipple being exposed to colder temps and it would want to freeze up. Guess the warm water transfers enough heat through the stainless steel tip to keep it from freezing up. woohoo for me! On a side note: if you give ACV in your waterer you probably wouldn't want to use this method. The heater is metal and that would not be a good thing with the vinegar. I plan to give water with acv in a bowl separately. I hope this helps someone.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wow... I think if I walked out in 22 degree weather I'd freeze my nips off.

3. sixty7x

sixty7x Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Warwick RI
    I here ya. This is my first winter with chickens and I wasn't sure how things were gonna play out. So far so good. The only real issue was the water. Earlier on I thought they would need heat. Everyone kept telling me they don't. just keep it draft free and dry. But I'm human and never had anything but a dog that stays in the house with us. I felt like they needed heat, if not for them, then for me to be able to sleep easy. Well, i didn't sleep to well with the heat lamp on because i was nervous they would jump up and break it and cause a fire(my mind never stops) Turns out they tried to get closer to the heat, but were pooping in the nest box because of where they would roost. Took the heat lamp out and so far every time i check them at 5am they aren't even huddled together. I was always told they would huddle together if they were cold. Makes sense to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by