22 eggs set - due 30th August!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by chickinthebator, Aug 9, 2013.

1. chickinthebator

chickinthebator Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2013
    The day has arrived!
    22 eggs set [​IMG]

2 bators - 13 eggs in one, 9 in the other

6 X Cream Legbar
    6 X Lavender Orpington
    4 X Buff Orpington
    6 X Welsummer

2 of my Buff Orpington eggs didn't look up to scratch and since I didn't have enough room
    I decided they had to go [​IMG]
    Still! Day 1 is here and I'll be posting updates - there are some beautiful eggs in there [​IMG]

My 3 chickies are doing well, all of them full of energy and steadily growing - they are
    just over 2 weeks old now, and have moved into the old pig sty to live for a few weeks [​IMG]

Wish me luck!

Anyone else setting around now?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Only 22 eggs? [​IMG] You've picked some nice breeds.

I'm not using the incubator at the moment, I've some hens doing all the hard work and worrying for me. I have a broody on day 6 now and another hen just started. I gave her an infertile egg and a fake egg for now to keep her her out of the first one's box and to see if she's committed. If she's still keeping them warm tomorrow I will give her some fertile eggs.

Good luck with your hatch!

3. matt1jsh

matt1jsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    You do have some nice breeds there!

I am currently ticking over to day 12 with 13 silkie eggs.

What type of incubators do you have?

And goodluck with the seemingly forever 21 day process :)

4. chickinthebator

Jul 16, 2013
    Thank you both of you!

sumi I like your thinking - a sort of trial for the chicken! [​IMG] - good luck with your hatch(es)

matt1jsh best of luck ! nervous times for you [​IMG]Have you candled at all? I use a brainsea mini eco and another different incubator that is larger but needs manual turning. I have squeezed 22 eggs into them combined and when candled on day 7 I will remove those who do not look so good [​IMG] Until then, I guess it's just turning 3 times a day and the nervous wait - leaving some valuable time for BYC.

5. sarahem23

sarahem23 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    Northumberland, UK
    Can I join - possibly a little late!? I'm hoping to set 12 eggs in the incubator on Tuesday/Wednesday due to hatch by 4th September.
    I will have:
    6 x lavander araucanas
    6 x ilver laced polish
    (both bantams)

chickinthebator - your hatch sounds beautiful, I have such a soft spot for welsummers!

matt1jsh - your so right about the 21 days feeling like forever!

6. chickinthebator

Jul 16, 2013
    Of course you can! It'll be great to compare notes - you have 2 of my favourite breeds in there! Day 3 for me is in its early stages - 3 days until the first candling !!

7. matt1jsh

matt1jsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    I love the enthusiasm we all share. Or as they say birds of a feather...lol

I am trying to hatch chickens for the first time in my Brinsea Hatchmaker, i have hatched quail in it before.

I was quite impatient and candled on day 3, but repeated on day 7 to remove the undesired eggs.

I stared with 18, but unfortunately 1 didn't make it through the post, and despite my best efforts a further 4 were tossed.

I was a bit concerned about temp, and weight.

My bator instructions suggest 102.5

and at day 10 some eggs had lost near 5-6% while others 10-11%.

Should i be worried ?? ?? ?? ??

8. chickinthebator

Jul 16, 2013
    I wouldn't say you should be worried - just keep being careful in what your doing.

9. sarahem23

Aug 6, 2013
    Northumberland, UK
    Getting excited now! Half of my eggs arrived yesterday and as I was writing this my other 6 eggs were delivered!
    One of the lavander araucana eggs looks distinctly bigger than the other 5...who knows maybe Ill have a suprise large fowl! However I'm probably just getting over excited :)
    I've had the incubator running over night, everything seems ok! I read a lot of very bad reviews of my King Suro 20 on a different thread last night which has worried me but its all I have, and previously it has fared alright...I borrow it from a friend who has done 3-4 hatches with it and I successfully hatched out 9 chicks from 12 eggs earlier in the year, so fingers crossed!
    I will post pics later when I'm putting the eggs in!
    Hope everyone else's hatches are going to plan :)

10. sarahem23

Aug 6, 2013
    Northumberland, UK
    [​IMG]
    There is the large egg on the right...the difference isn't as noticable in the picture!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and there they are! I don't think I can wait 3 weeks...it's just too long!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by