1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

22 Hens & one?????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickimoma, Feb 17, 2012.

1. I ordered an E.E. female hatched on 10/17. About 3 weeks ago it put on a lot of height and developed sickle tail feathers. No crowing at 4 mo. I don't see spurs but I feel a bump where it might develop. I don't keep roosters here in town & have never raised one. I keep hoping i'm :/wrong. I have some pictures. But don't know how to attach.

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    If it has sickle feathers, it's most definitely a roo. EE roos usually have brick red colored feathers on their shoulders as well - females cannot have this coloration. Other things to look for are "splotchy" coloration rather than a pattern.

If you click on the square icon at the upper right top of the reply box - it has a house in it and a movie film icon next to it - you can choose your picture from on your computer and it will do all the work for you. It always turns mine sideways, but at least it gets them on here :)

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    if you can get those pics on it would help :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  4. [​IMG]

Here's that bad boy standing next to my ? white leghorn, same age. I wish I had gotten better pictures. He is so beautiful. He STILL isn't crowing (thankyou lord). I need to find him a good home where he won't end up in a stew pot. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

5. By the way, thanks for the help with how to post pictures. Are you guys SURE it's a he and not a she? Just kidding. There is no way I can look at this chicken without refering to him in the male gender. He can jump a mile too. Here's a real question for you: if one caponizes a young rooster, will it still develop crowing behaviors??? Not that I'm about to do it, just curious!

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    yes that is a cockerel...as for the white one i'm not sure i want to say sussex due to the white legs, if it was a leghorn the comb and wattles on her would be a whole lot bigger than they are. as for stew pot most people right now i have found dont need roosters and are either just selling/giving them away or putting them into a pot. you can try craigslist and see if anyone on there needs a rooster

7. Thanks,
    Actually the white one is supposed to be a leghorn pullet. I got four and gave three to a friend; I kept the biggest one. The roo has started mounting hens but no crowing yet. He may still end up in a stew pot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by