1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

22 week chicken is very quiet, isn't moving much and has her tail down

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kdchicken, Oct 20, 2013.

1. kdchicken

kdchicken New Egg

Jul 7, 2013
    Hi,
    Can someone please help me with my young 22 week old chicken. She is very quiet, isn't moving much and her tail is pointing down. She isn't laying yet but two of my other girls have just started in the last week so I expect that she isn't far off laying. She has always been the most quiet of my four girls but this is out of the ordinary.

She was eating and moving around this morning, but this evening when I went to close up their coop she was just standing in the corner not moving and not interesting in food or being with the other girls. I checked her over and she still didn't move which is very unusual for her. I also couldn't see anything that looked wrong with her.

I've very worried about her. Can someone please let me know if there is anything I can do for her, or that I need to look out for?

Thanks very much for your help.

2. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Sounds she may be egg bound. Here's a good article:
    http://hencam.com/faq/egg-bound-hens/

Terry also has an article on what to do with a sick hen in the FAQ section. I would separate her and keep her warm.

1 person likes this.
  3. kdchicken

kdchicken New Egg

Jul 7, 2013
    Thanks very much for the link. There were some good suggestions I'll try. I'll give her an epsom salt bath and internal epsom salt in water tomorrow. If that doesn't help I'll try the olive oil as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by