22 week old domestic turkey laying eggs?!?!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by bananamama, Sep 16, 2010.

1. bananamama

bananamama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Lazy Mountain, AK
    This is my first year with Turkeys, we started with three domestic toms and two hens, Snippy and George (named after Curious George). They were born early to mid April. About a month ago we integrated our younger wild turkey/royal palm x's with the domestics. The younger ones are about 10 to 12 weeks old. The person we bought them from had his pullets mixed and wasn't exactly sure how old they were. George became the adopted mother to the young ones and Snippy immediately started laying down in front of the toms wanting to mate. I thought this seemed odd, but as I said I am new to this. Then the other day we had to separate our hens because Snippy decided she was going to take the little ones away from their adopted mom. There was a tense discussion between birds, the pullets watching intently, then the attempted abductor tried to start a fight. We got their in time to separate them. The very next day Snippy was missing from the rest of the flock and we found her in a grassy patch digging under the grass. We moved her back with the rest and she just sat down for a long time. When she got up to get some water their was an egg on the ground underneath her!! I have also been concerned about her the last few days because she had watery white diarrhea and appeared to be "pale". Could this sudden change in her chemistry be making her sick? Does anyone else have experience with such a rapid egg layer?

2. caddyeldorado2006

caddyeldorado2006 Out Of The Brooder

her poop might be white and watery from water and not eating due to laying on them constantly if that is what she is doing. Mine sits in the woods on her nest alot and Most of the time i have to chase her away from her nest as she growls at me LOL let me know if this helps

3. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    I have had two chickens go broody and the first one did look very pale the first few days. So pale that it worried me. (We started taking her off her nest for a few minutes each day and putting food in front of her.)

Is your turkey still eating?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  4. bananamama

bananamama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Lazy Mountain, AK
    Thank you for responding! She is still eating and moving around with the rest of the bunch. Yesterday she laid an egg with no shell and I noticed today it looks like she has prolapse?.[​IMG]

5. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    I don't know anything about prolapse, but my experience with chickens this last year and a half is that soft-shells are not unusual with young layers. And your girl is a young layer. Most turkeys born this year wouldn't lay until next spring, right?

6. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Prolapse needs to be treated ASAP to have even a 30/70 chance of success. PrepH can be used (need to use your fingers to return the everted tissue back into the turk). Place her in a quiet area with very little light for a bit to calm her thoroughly, grease up fingers (gloved would be nice) with prepH and gently push tissue back into the jenny. Keep her secluded in an area that is nearly dark (need to suppress the hormones driving the egg laying). If you do a search in Emergencies for Prolapse you'll get plenty of other info.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by