1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

22 WEEK old 'pullet' crowing this morning...( pic added post 3)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickensducks&agoose, Oct 9, 2009.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she a he? it came to me as a 16 weeker, and only had one tail feather, that has since come out. so no tail feathers at all... no eggs from any of my 22 weekers.... if she were a he, would s/he be crowing previously?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Pictures would help us determine if she is a he but yes a pullet can crow. Sometimes cockerels are late bloomers in the crowing department. Patience on egg laying it's that time of year when they sometimes don't lay til later in the Fall and 22 weeks isn't that old for them to lay most breeds don't start til 24 to 28 week depending on time of year. My thoughts!

3. chickensducks&agoose

[​IMG]

It's a cream Brabanter... and was hatchery sexed as a Female...

4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    The neck feathers look a little pointy and long to me, and the legs are way long! The face is blurry, can't tell much there. But it's giving the appearance of a he. Hatchery sexing isn't always 100%.

Time will tell for sure, he or she looks like it'll be a good looking bird!

5. chickensducks&agoose

I will FREAK out if this turns out to be a boy. I've been waiting YEARS for white eggs!!!

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I don't see saddle feathers but I'm not that familiar with brabanters so hoping someone with that breed will chime in.

7. chickensducks&agoose

S/he was making some strange noises this afternoon, sounded like a cross between a crow and the egg song... like cock a doodle, bawk bakAAAWK.... I am scratching my head in amazement...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by