22 week old Wyandotte pullet injured - looking for advice for care at home

WVOGBiddy

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2022
WV - USA
Our hen, Martha, was injured about 4 days ago. I believe she caught her head in the type of metal feeder that has a plate to stand on to open the feeder. I’ve attached a photo of the worst damage, but I think it’s the ear lobe area injured on both sides. I have put Blu-Kote on it twice daily and it was improving until I found her like this this evening. I tried 3 times to separate her from the others within the chicken run by putting her in a wire dog crate, but every time something startled her and she beat herself against the side of the crate and wouldn’t calm. The other 13 hens (same age)ran into the coop and left her alone, so she was frantic.
She is eating and drinking and laying an egg daily so far. The others aren’t pecking at her relentlessly, but once in a while one pecks at her. I’ve also seen her scratch the injury with her foot, starting the bleeding again.
Is there anything else I can do to help her?
Does she need an antibiotic?
Do you think if I totally removed her from the others in the dog crate in my house that she’d be more calm about being confined? I don’t want to stress her anymore by trying something else that freaks her out.
Is there something that will dry up the injury so it can heal?
Can she recover from this? Is she in pain?
I’m a new chicken mom and this is the first really serious thing I’ve dealt with, so any help would be greatly appreciated. It’s almost impossible to get vet appointments in my rural area, so you’re my best chance at helping her. View attachment 3415859

Attachments

• 053A9BAE-2C47-4D31-AE29-6DDB2687CC92.jpeg
    053A9BAE-2C47-4D31-AE29-6DDB2687CC92.jpeg
    396.7 KB · Views: 19
Delaware! Thanks!

I’ve only tried Blu-Kote thinking antiseptic and disguising the blood was best. Can I put Neosporin on it too?

I had a hen attacked by a raccoon last fall. Her injury wasn't as severe (I interrupted the attack) but it was right under her eye. I cleaned the wound and sprayed vetricyn daily, kept her separated for a few days and she got annoyed with that so I put her back in and she did fine. I would separate your girl and clean the wound and apply some kind of antibiotic and keep her separated until the wound improves even if she hates it.

I had a hen attacked by a raccoon last fall. Her injury wasn't as severe (I interrupted the attack) but it was right under her eye. I cleaned the wound and sprayed vetricyn daily, kept her separated for a few days and she got annoyed with that so I put her back in and she did fine. I would separate your girl and clean the wound and apply some kind of antibiotic and keep her separated until the wound improves even if she hates it.
Thank you! I think I’ll have to separate her clear out of the run so I hope that works. Will try to get Vetricyn tomorrow. I’m scared she won’t recover.

Chickens can be very resilient. A little electrolytes and sugar in water will help her with shock and if you feed her some wet mash to encourage her to eat that will help but if she's eating and drinking and laying eggs and you make sure to prevent infection she will do just fine!

I wanted to give an update on Martha. I separated her from the others for about 4 days. I kept her on a wire dog crate in my house. She stayed calm once she was away from the others and I covered her crate at night. I put a limb from a tree in for a small roost and she seemed to use it. I mostly used Vetrycin but also used an antibiotic the first couple days. I sat in the yard with her so she could free range a few times a day for a few minutes. I gave her some Save A Chick in her water. She began to heal pretty well and we re-introduced her to the flock one evening just a little before roost time. A couple of them pecked at her, but she finally swelled up to her tallest height and went right back at them and the order was once again established.
She's doing great now and I just wanted to thank you all for being here to help us inexperienced people. I really appreciate you all.
(This photo was about a week ago. She's even better now. That blu-cote stuff is long lasting!!! And I don't think I'll use it again. )
81EC331A-FE22-4248-9830-AA8E0B6BD5FD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom