22 week pullet found sleeping in the nest box for the first time

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WindyCity, Nov 24, 2014.

1. WindyCity

WindyCity New Egg

May 16, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    I have a 22 week old pullet who has been sleeping on the roosting bar for the last 15 weeks without a problem & I came home from work to find her in the nesting box today. This is the first time this has ever happened. Typically, she is on the roosting bar with two other 22 week old pullets & two 28 week old pullets. The older girls have gotten really mean over the last few days & I'm not sure why, except that the weather has gotten really crappy & they haven't been able to free range as much. They have a large run, though. Plus I'm trying to train them all on a new feeder which is a bit stressful for them, I think.

I don't know if the pullet in the nesting box ended up there because she got pecked off the roosting bar by one of the older gals (they have been doing that to all three littles for the last few days), or if something else could be wrong. I picked her up & put her back on the roosting bar when I got home and she seems to be fine although she is rocking back and forth a little. She has white feathers (white barred rock) so I can see her through the window easier than the other gals. So they all might be rocking a little (seems to be rocking that is from normal breathing). Should I be worried about this behavior?? Any advice would be appreciated. Of note only the older to pullets are laying eggs (just started 2 & 3 weeks ago). Thank you!

2. WindyCity

WindyCity New Egg

May 16, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Also, the temperatures have been dropping all day, currently 27F but feels like 12 with the wind chill. Winds were ridiculous today, up to 35 mph. Could she just be cold? We had wind chills below zero a couple of weeks ago & she did fine, so I don't think that's it...but any advice would be helpful. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by