22 week red sex link not laying

Sewforyou2000

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
I had 5 Red Sex Link that are 22 weeks old and still no eggs. They are fed layer pellets and get plenty of grit and egg shells (baked). Ant ideas why they are not laying?

My Japanese Bantam and a Silkie are laying fine.

I read something that if she has a nasty butt you don’t want to eat her eggs. Thoughts?
I guess it'd depend on what's wrong with her exactly - like if it's a disease vs a physical deformity. And honestly I don't know what she might have, if anything - or if this is just a physical issue because she's underdeveloped. I have some birds that tend to soil themselves (like too fluffy in the rear + runnier poop) but their eggs are perfectly fine to eat.

They are 24 weeks old and she has had a nasty but from the time she was a few weeks old. I have wormed and bathed. And bathed. And bathed. Her comb is also very small and not red like the others. I feel like I should get rid of her. 😕
She could be a runt and need extra time to get up to speed, who knows.

I'd trim her butt fluff instead of bathing, it's much faster and results last longer.

If you don't want to keep her she's at least young so has the potential to be a layer soon, which would be a selling point.

i was told Red Sex Link were great layers and lay one almost every day. Mine are just over a year old. I had 5 and have never gotten more than three eggs in a day from them. I have one away that had a nasty butt since it was young. She much have been laying. Now I get one every few days and two Every week or so. It has been a total waste of feed. My Bantams pretty much lay one a day. My little Silkie laid one almost every day until a dog got her.
Every bird is different, it's normal to not lay every day.

Her four ‘siblings’ have perfectly fluffy butts and are healthy. My Japanese Bantam roo and 2 hens are also perfectly healthy. I don’t see how Little Red’s problem would be anything contagious. I’ll get her fanny feathers clipped tomorrow.

Two of those hens laid yesterday!

One of them started laying!

another of my 5 Red Sex Links I posted about a while back about having a nasty butt. Still nasty! They are 24 weeks old and she has had a nasty but from the time she was a few weeks old. I have wormed and bathed. And bathed. And bathed. Her comb is also very small and not red like the others. I feel like I should get rid of her. 😕

Back
Top Bottom