1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

22 weeks old, no eggs yet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by den10hens, Oct 7, 2007.

1. den10hens

den10hens Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    I got my 2 Rhode Island reds on May 6. I just counted the weeks on the calendar. I thought they were 20 weeks, but actually they are 22 weeks. No sign of an egg in the nest box. There is a golf ball in the nest box and I have been checking for a few weeks now. They have oyster shell available.

If they were laying eggs in the yard while free ranging would they pay any attention to the location so I can find it? Should I leave them in the coop 24/7 for a few days and see what happens?

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I got my first egg at 24 weeks. Someone is on 26 weeks here with no eggs. I think sometimes you have to wait. I know its not easy, but ya just gotta wait.

3. den10hens

den10hens Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks, I was thinking between 18 and 20 weeks was "normal", but I guess "normal" has quite a big range.
    [​IMG]
    (me with my fingers crossed, waiting)

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I thought 18 - 20 was average too. I see some people get eggs from 16 week old birds. I think its just more exciting to get the first egg when you were made to wait til you were going crazy [​IMG] I love it!!!

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Lock them up for a day or 2. They can delay laying for a bit but I don't think for more than a day or 2.

I did that and it stopped mine from laying in the bushes

I had one laying at 20. The rest have have started laying in the past few weeks. They are now 26weeks

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  6. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    I have 16 hens that turned 23 weeks today. BOs, EEs, Partridge Rock, BLRWs, and Red Stars. Only 2 are laying. One Red Star started at 21 weeks and a white Easter Egger(that I gave to a pal) just sarted last friday. Some of the hens are getting more pronounced red combs and waddles. One of the other EEs has been bred several times but so far no more eggs.... I guess they do it when they do it. It's frustrating though! Southern28chick had a buddy who threatened chicken stew and hers started laying. That hasn't worked for me. lol!

7. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

I am at 26 weeks with a bantam cochin not pulling her weight... I only have 2 pullets so I am getting 1 egg every 2 days. I am not drowning in eggs, like some fine folk.....

8. livinggreen

livinggreen Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Clarkston, MI
    It seems like the first one takes FOREVER! Mine just started last weekend at 24 weeks...they are RIRs. Fortunately they all 3 started at the same time so we are getting 2-3 eggs per day. I did lock mine up for about 2 weeks because someone had advised me to. This seemed to work because they know exactly where to lay now (they are free range). Most of the time the eggs are there for me in the morning (this morning there was a fresh WARM one!) but sometimes they make there way back to the coop during the day to lay too. Good luck! It will happen!

9. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    Australorps and Buff Orps at 20 weeks and no eggs. My australorps have very red combs and wattles, but still no eggs!!! [​IMG]

10. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I have 2 Mille Fleurs who are are just over 25 weeks....we think they are aliens in chicken suits... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by