22 WK Old BO won't leave nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JBC RANCH, Aug 15, 2010.

JBC RANCH Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    We have a young hen that will not leave the nest box. She will try to peck you if you reach in the box. I tried to feel under her to see if there were eggs under her and didn't feel any. So is this a broody or compacted eggs. What are the options if it is a compact? Thanks
  2. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Sounds like she is broody. I had one go at about that age. Can you see if she pulled out the feathers on her belly?
  3. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Broody mommy wanna be.
  4. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    you got a broody
  5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

A broody hen/pullet doesn't need an egg under her...it's a nesting instinct. She's definitely either going broody or is already there... which may or may not be good news for you...lol.
  6. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Yep, you've got a broody. My BO that went broody was a GREAT momma hen, if you want her to sit some eggs for you.
  7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    My Coop
    Wow, 22 weeks? Is this common? What is the average age for, lets just say, a BO to go broody? My birds are only eight months old and I never even imagined broodiness until next year. I thought I had lots and lots of time before I had to learn how to deal with that one.
  8. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    They are just so individual arent' they - but maybe this is a sign she'll be making a great mamma hen!! [​IMG]

JBC RANCH Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Yep, broody she is. Pulled her out of the nest box this morning (she was not happy) to find an egg under her. I carried her out into the yard with her coop mates and she fed and watered. Will see if she returns to the box later. I hope I don't have to cage her but if need be it will happen. Don't need any moms need eggs. Thanks to all who replied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by