22wk white rock with twisted neck Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bcknoppzoo, Dec 23, 2010.

1. bcknoppzoo

bcknoppzoo New Egg

Dec 23, 2010
    I have a 22wk white rock about 3 or 4 weeks ago she couldn't hold her head up and her neck was twisted and her head upside down. WHen she tried to walk she looked drunk and would fall over or walk backwards and lose her balance. I brought her inside and had to hand feed and water her as she couldn't do it on her own. I did that for a little over a week and put electrolytes in her water and gave her selenium crushed up and mixed with vitamin E she started doing really good and has been eating on her own for 2 weeks now but is still inside due to our harsh weather and not having enough outside time to reintroduce her to the flock...and now last night I noticed her neck starting to twist again...it's like she is looking up at something then loses control of her head...it's not to the point that she is falling over yet or not eating, so I stared giving her the vit. E and selenium again last night...is there hope for her? I don't want her to suffer, but she is like part of the family and the rest of her flock started laying last week and a day or 2 ago she stared making lots of squaks and doing the submissive squat like the other shortly before they started laying...I really thought she was good to go until last night.

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Sounds like the vitamins worked for her, but that she may have just not had them long enough. I would also be putting some polyvitamins (without iron) in her water as well. You can get that from your local pharmacy. Sounds like she had the twisted neck pretty bad. Keep her on those vitamins for as long as you can. Also, when you introduce her back into the flock, it doesn't hurt to add the vitamins/electrolytes to their water every once in a while.

3. bcknoppzoo

bcknoppzoo New Egg

Dec 23, 2010
    I put the vit/electrolytes in there water everyday after she got sick...I didn't want to risk it...have you ever heard of or had a chicken fully recover from this condition? What causes it exactly as to avoid reoccurrance. The stuff I put in the water is something I got from our feed store..it's yellow powder with vitamins and electrolytes..

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I read alot about it on here and from what I've read, it's from a vitamin deficiency. Yeah, I know what you're talking about as far as your bag of electrolytes....I use that once or twice a week in the wintertime for my chickens to help keep them healthy. The polyvitamins I'm talking about are a vitamin drop for infants...it's not necessary, but it's a much highter dose of vitamins. Usually one or two drops in a quart of water. I have to ask my pharmacist for it (they keep it behind the pharmacy counter).-runs about $10.

I've never had a chicken with a twisted neck so the only advice that I have is what I've read here on BYC. I think once you get her back to normal and in good health, you may consider giving them the vitamins/electrolytes weekly just to help boost their systems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by