23 Days and Counting

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fettfarm, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Fettfarm

Fettfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2012
    My Lucky Girl has been sitting on her nest and I think we may have a dry run here. She is a Bantam and the one Bantam egg in the nest has not hatched- I was pretty sure it wasn't fertile. But the other donor eggs from her pullet girlfriends who donated daily till I relocated her and stopped the contribution process, I thought very well could have some some fertile eggs in the clutch since we have 4, yes 4 roosters.

My question is this: would it be too late to buy some fertile eggs and put under her at this stage? Or should I just give it a few more days and try to break the broodiness if she doesn't give it up on her own? I don't want to do anything to harm her. I have a feeling she is going to do this again and frequently. She seemed to enjoy my attention! LOL

This is a new and wonderful experience for me and I need all the help I can get.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It is too late to replace her eggs now. Sitting is hard on the hen's body and making her sit another 3 weeks would be really hard on her. Have you candled the eggs she's on to see if anything's happening in there? They may just be a bit slow. I've had chicks hatch late under broody hens, but 23 is pushing it a bit. Is there anywhere near you where you can buy some day-old chicks? If you can get some you can remove the eggs and replace them with chicks. This is easier done at night when she's sleeping.

3. Fettfarm

Fettfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2012
    I don't know about the day old chicks, but I certainly could try. Thanks for the help. We will try to candle the eggs. They are brown eggs so I'm not real confident that we'll be able to see all that much shadow/light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by