23 days...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thebanthams, Jan 30, 2012.

1. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Today will be 23 days... this is my second try and I feel like I failed again !!! [​IMG] Should I try to float them or leave them alone?? I am so sad that I cant hatch them !! [​IMG]

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I am so sorry to hear the trouble with your hatch. Just remember that it is a learning curve and you will get it, you just have to figure out what is going wrong. For a start, what incubator are you using? Where did you get your eggs and what are they? Hope the BYC can help you out as much as it has me.

3. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    If you are reading and studying this site then you should check the fertility of your eggs.

4. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    My eggs are Black astrolorps, I got them from my hens. first time I made an egg incubator (last Dec) I had fully formed chicks but they died. They did not hatch. they died sometime during lockdown. This time I borrowed Little Giant still air incubator. On the second try I didnt bother them until candling 18th day. they were wild wigglers ! so now 23 is here ???? I am going to float them and see what happens.

5. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I hope that they hatch for you!

6. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

be very careful. any little pip that you overlook can drown the chick...

I am on day 24, and I only just had my first hatch out today... Do you hear any chirping from inside the eggs? You could try candling again and see if any are wiggling...

7. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I did the float test. one very faint wiggle. the other one no movements. Candled both, they were very dark almost filled the whole egg. soo going to keep hatching and see what happens...

8. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I forgot to ask,, I set eggs on Saturday Jan 7th at 2 pm. due date Saturday 28. Did I have the right due date? Thanks for your help !!

9. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Yes you did have the right hatch date.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by