23 eggs from 22 hens twice this week!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by needtohatch, Apr 3, 2009.

1. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    What is going on with these hens! Twice this week we have gotten 23 eggs out of 22 hens! Both times there were 1-2 soft shelled eggs layed that day (I counted those). Is there some reason out hens are doing this? They get layer mash, free choice oyster shell, treats (scratch, day old bread & table scraps) and free range our 4 acres. The scratch and day old bread given as treats on rainy days when they are stuck in the barn and table scraps whenever we have them. They are just under 1yr old and have been laying 16-18 eggs per day all winter.
    Should I be worried about all the soft shells???

2. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I was going to suggest oyster shell but you are already doing that. I don't have any expereince with soft shelled eggs. Maybe someone else will know. Good luck.

3. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    Whats really odd is that I just added the free choice oyster shells about 2 1/2 weeks ago. It was the same time we added scratch. I am kinda wondering if my 4 yr old is giving them scratch with out asking? [​IMG] If he is it is not much since the bag is still about 3/4 full. I just don't know. I am thinking of giving them some yogurt for extra calcium. I just am not sure that is the problem since the rest of the eggs we get are normal. The other odd thing I have noticed over the last week or so is that the hens are fighting/picking on eachother more than normal. I don't know if the two are related or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by