23% for meaties?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chooniecat, Oct 17, 2009.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    my 11 5 wk old meaties have been on 20% dumor feed until today when the new feed store told me 23% would help them plump, as they seem a touch smaller than I thought they should be(but what do I know-1st timer). had been feeding appx. what they would eat in 12 hrs,like some would suggest so maybe thats why but I went ahead and got the 23% as its the same price as tsc wanted for 20%. my ? is 23% ok or will they not be able to walk in a week(not seriously!) but? also got 17% for layers as thats all they had(usually use 16%)

2. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    The only batch of meat birds I've raised so far I fed Start-and-Grow mix from day 1 to slaughter. My 12 week old roosters averaged 8lbs live weight. I received another shipment of 25 yesterday and plan on feeding them the same way. They were MONSTERS!! [​IMG]

3. kassy68

kassy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Vassar , Michigan
    My Coop
    The Hatchery my meaties came from said to use 21% or higher for the first four weeks then goto the 20 %.. Which I followed and also took their food out at 7pm - 7 am and they were great healthy meaties.

It probably wont hurt them to up the protein now.. but it may not be in time.

OH.. I use the 24% starter/grower from what was Dumor.. now I found a guy that makes it fresh every week and its only 18.00 for 100lbs.. woot.. my meatie price per lb just went down.

Good luck

4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I usually do 20-22% for mine. I don't think you need 23%, but it won't hurt anything either. I wouldn't be too concerned about their size. They grow a lot from weeks 5-8.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by