23 Hens No Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CaptGus, Feb 25, 2013.

1. CaptGus

CaptGus Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    I bought 23 hens yesterday and put them in a stall in the barn last night. Thought there would be a bunch of eggs today....big fat 0. I know, probably stress from the moving and a new place. These were really nice looking birds, so I think Im just being a nervous parent. What do you guys think?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think your intuition is spot on about them being moved. Life people, moving is stressful to chickens. Don't be upset if you don't get them tomorrow or even the next day. But they will come. This is assuming they were productive layers at the time you got them.

3. cmoore333

cmoore333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    I moved four new hens, that we bought and they have not laid yet. (been 8 days) hopefully any day now I'll have someone laying besides my two reliable hens... I also have one who just laid her first egg on Saturday, and one who should start anyway now too, so I have 6 that are keeping me checking all the time:) my chicks in my house are only 3weeks old so it'll be months for them to start.. I to am having a hard time waiting for eggs...

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They're animals, not vending machines.

How old are they? That could also influence laying. If they're older, or haven't been laying this winter, they're not going to start until the days get a little longer.

5. Countrywantabe

Countrywantabe Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    It took two weeks for my 6 month birds to start laying once we added extra daylight hours for them after they molted and they were not moved to a strange place. If they have not had the extra light it will take a while for their hormones to start the cycle.

6. cmoore333

cmoore333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Two of my new ladies are now laying :) I saw them go in the coop, after I cleaned it all out for the new week, and when they finally left I found two eggs in the nesting box..... Yaaaaaa.....:):)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by