1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

23 week old BBB turkey with head chewed off?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by flockmomma, Aug 28, 2013.

1. flockmomma

flockmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Wyoming
    I went out to check for eggs earlier, and realized I could not find one of my guineas and my BBB turkey (jury was out on gender, but likely a hen). They range out on a pasture that is enclosed in field fencing. I checked for them, and still cannot find the guinea (she was gimpy, an easy target), but I found the turkey with lots of feathers around it and its head chewed off. I found one dug out spot under the fence, leading right up to the pile of pallets and railroad ties that our new neighbors inherited from previous residents of that property. They are eventually going to get rid of the stuff. There is a dug out spot under that pile. I am going to request that they sped up their timeline on getting that stuff away from the fenceline. Do places have laws about that anyway? We are on ten acre plots in southeast wyoming, I also have goats and such to protect.

I am assuming that whatever killed the turkey just wasn't big enough to haul it off. Any thoughts on what would only eat the head and nibble a bit at the side of a really big bird?

It is a Shame, as we were only holding off on processing the turkey because we didn't have room in the freezer.

2. flockmomma

flockmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Wyoming
    They slept outside last night, on big fence posts, as a thunderstorm came through when I usually put them up. I was in the dark trying to get a milk goat, and since they were roosting up high, I left them alone.

The guinea may have been missing for a couple days.

3. MamaBird072316

MamaBird072316 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2015
    Aw no one answered you. Hm could be a small but mighty fierce predator like a fisher. Not sure if they have them where you live. They def have them where I live in MA. Did you ever find out? Did that pile of stuff get removed yet? Not sure about laws but prob not as once you take ownership of the property the items are likely considered yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by