1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

23 week old injured/sick chicken help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by momof2kiddos, Aug 1, 2011.

1. momof2kiddos

momof2kiddos New Egg

Feb 2, 2011
    Hello -

I am new to breading chickens. This is my first attempt and we have a sick or injured chicken.

Our chicken is a black and white which I think was a bantum. She was limping for the last couple of days and today when she was in the nesting she got sat and coming down the ramp I think she may of tipped or injured her self worse. She can stand on one foot with help but at this time is not standing up on her own. She can scoot around and using her wings for balance. She did lay an egg today as well as she is eating and drinking as we have put the food and water near her. I looked up Mericks (sp?) and when I went to look at her the eyes are still normal and she is spunky just like normal she just can't get up right now.

I looked at her feet and lets today nothing seem out of place, she griped on to my finger with both feet and I stretched them both out and it did not appear to cause discomfort so we are are at loss right now.

I have her separate from the other girls right now but near them so she can still see them. Tonight my son is going to sleep with her (she will be in a box next to him) as he is so upset by this. He has been tending to her all day today.

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    how old is she? did you see her hurt herself? if not and she is around a year or more it could be sudden leg paralysis due to a vitamin deficiency. If you have ruled out Marke's disease, this treatment with help with those symptoms as well. Give her some electrolyte solution in her water a few days a week for a few weeks. She needs extra vitamin B12 and E in her food. I get powdered B12 caps and opened them up and put some on her food, just a little each day for two weeks, give her the vit. E like twice a week for two weeks, get the liquid caps of E and cut the tip open and squeeze a dab on some treats, don't give to much vit. E. If her problem is from this vitamin problem it will take about two weeks for her to walk again, but then she should be fine. I had this happen to one of my hens and it took two weeks but she is fine now and has been for over ayear. good luck

3. momof2kiddos

momof2kiddos New Egg

Feb 2, 2011
    She is 23 week old now almost 24 weeks so about 5 1/2 months. I did not see her get injured, we notice one morning she was limping a bit after jumping off the roost. She seemed to be getting better and today after going down the ramp to the underneath at some point she did something and was just laying their. I rescued her from the other girls got her water which she drank a ton of and some food. She is trying so hard to get around I feel so bad for her.

I will try getting some electrolyte stuff tomorrow from town. Right now I have her separate from the other girls and she is not a happy girl tonight. She is talking up a storm with the others in the coop. My son is going to sleep with her tonight I think but I am wondering if I should just sit her in the house with the other girls.

Megan

4. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    I have had hens injury themselves coming down from the roosts before. They had strain/sprain hips, legs joints and injure feet. One gal needed help getting up and down for 2 weeks. I didn't have to separate her despite her trouble getting around. Even after her hip healed she still liked to be helped down in the morning and I try to accomodate her. She has become my bud. Give your bird time. She needs to be mobile on the ground before putting her back in the general population. Best of luck.

5. momof2kiddos

momof2kiddos New Egg

Feb 2, 2011
    Thanks -

I put her inside tonight due her making such a ruckus she is in a container were she can't hurt her self further and I will make sure to move her in the AM so that the other girls can't get to her and hurt her worse. I will give it time and let you all know how it turns out. My poor son is devastated as this is his chick. [​IMG]

6. Oneofeach

Oneofeach New Egg

Jul 31, 2011
    Hi - my chicken with similar issues was standing up today! She was laying down for almost a week now but still eating and drinking well and I gave her raw milk with some robust probiotics and it must have done something! I still sent her to the vet tonight to be evaluated but at least we had some progress. Hope yours is doing OK.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I just had a Brahma hen that was limping on one leg, I put her in the hospital ward for a couple of days so she wouldn't make it worse, they are big birds and I think she hurt herself jumping down from the roost also, so while she was recovering I lowered all the rooosts. the highest is about 3 ' off the ground with the lowest at a foot. I also have deep litter shaving in the coop to make it easier on them when they land. Hope she recovers quickly for you they hate to be alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by