23 week old Orpington not laying...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OrpingtonFairy, Sep 6, 2015.

1. OrpingtonFairy

OrpingtonFairy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2015
    Hamden, CT
    I have a 23 week old Orpington who is happy as can be and is not laying yet. Should I be concerned?

2. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    First of all, welcome to the BYC flock and congrats on your first post! We are glad you joined us!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

With regards to your question, it seems like some birds just take a little longer to mature than others. That being said, sometimes there are things that through off a hens point or rate of lay. Here are some of those:

1. Molt - Many chickens start molting this time of year. Is she losing any feathers?
    2. Diet - Is she being feed a good layer feed with at least 16% protein? Does she have access to oyster shell 24/7? Do you limit scratch feed, table scraps and treats to not more than 10% of their diet?
    3. Stress - Has she been under any stress? Changes in coop or flock mates for example?
    4. Internal and external parasites - Have you checked her over for lice and mites?

How red is her comb? Combs tend to get brighter as they get closer to laying.

Sounds like she is a happy hen, and if you have ruled all of these out, it hopefully will not be much longer until you find an egg.

Good luck!

3. Dundee

Dundee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    I have 24 week old black australorps and still no eggs.
    They don't get scraps very often. But they are on layer feed (16%) and have 24/7 access to oyster shells.
    A month ago we introduced 4 12 week old red sex links so our 2 roosterswouldn't stress out or over breed the black australorps. (We only wanted 1 rooster but one of our hens turned out to be a rooster and I really don't want to get rid of either of them but will if I have to)
    We have a turkey in there with them too I was thinking maybe he was eating the eggs but there in zero sign of any eggs.
    That being said none of the hens have been singing the egg song and I'm starting to think they might be broken lol

4. rlmiddlebrooks

rlmiddlebrooks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2015
    I got 5 golden comets 2 months ago and according to the lady I got them from all were hatched the same day, I had one start laying on 8-4 another on 8-5 and the third one started laying yesterday. Still two others not laying yet. I just assume after all the posts from others and questions I've asked that they are like humans and all mature at different times. So I waited 1 month for my third to start laying after the first one started and still waiting on two others. However once they start laying it's exciting to go check the box everyday.

5. rides2far

rides2far Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    My girls turned 6 months old on the 3rd, and I finally had everyone lay an egg. Just be patient. Some are just slow pokes.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Those bred specifically for egg laying will start earlier, about 4 months, those bred for dual purposes like Orpingtons and australorps will start laying anywhere from 5 months to 7 months depending on the source and the genetics. I think the early layers burn out faster where the slower ones last longer, continuing to lay for many years.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  7. rides2far

rides2far Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    Agreed. My two sex links were first, then my EEs. Last has been my SLW & light Brahma.

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - 23 weeks and not laying is not at all anything to be concerned about. Is this bird showing signs of beginning to near the onset of production? Those signs would be a reddening and change in the overall appearance/structure of the comb/wattles, beginning to perform the submissive squat, having an interest in the nests, etc.

9. OrpingtonFairy

OrpingtonFairy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2015
    Hamden, CT
    Well at 33 weeks, she laid her first egg! It's perfect! :)

1 person likes this.
  10. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Congratulations.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by