1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

23 weeks and counting...Our first meal from our girls!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by arlee453, Dec 28, 2007.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Still waiting for that first egg...

[​IMG]

I've broken down and put a timed light on in the coop to come on at 4am and off at 7 to give them more light.

Their combs can't get any redder but no squats...yet. All my threats and encouragements have been in vain thus far.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Susan, so many breeds known to lay at that age are waiting much later this year. Wonder what they know that we don't. [​IMG]

3. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    my BR is 23 weeks, started squating about a month ago... maybe more. Her comb is just started to get bigger, but it is still pale. [​IMG]

4. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    We have a SQUAT!!!

I never thought I'd be so happy to have a chicken 'come on' to me!! [​IMG]

I was out talking to the girls today and petting them and two of them assumed the position when I touched them on the back!

Whoo-hooo....

[​IMG]

gotta be getting close now... [​IMG]

Their combs are killer red and BIG now - they are old enough and showing all the signs...maybe they will come through for me next week...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I too have girls that have red combs and wattles but alas still no eggs. Free loading muchers. [​IMG]

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    You have to have the "EGG" talk with them. You know girls, you are here to lay eggs. Better get on with business before I eat you.

Hey, it worked for me!! [​IMG]

Oh, did I mentions I got 10 eggs today!! An all time high! (13 girls, one in the hospital coop)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  7. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Hah they have been getting that talk for weeks now, maybe I should show them the knife and frying pan.

8. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    21 weeks.....

still no eggs.....

light on in the coop....sqatting....red combs....

come on girls!!

[​IMG]

9. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Ok, all of these "signs" are new to me since I'm new to chickens, so I will ask the dumb question....what is a squat? I assume it is what it sounds like, but why don't I see this? Do they actually "come on to you"?

10. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    I *love* the squat! My fourth and final pullet just started squatting a couple days ago. They are all about 23 weeks old. :-D

So far though the third has been squatting for over a week now and still no eggs that I can see. I need to check the yard more thoroughly though. I hope you get your first eggs soon! It's so exciting...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by