23 weeks and counting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hipmarye, Sep 21, 2007.

1. hipmarye

hipmarye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Mississippi
    Our girls are almost 24 weeks old and still no eggs. One is part Ameraucana and the other 2 are part Cochin. Could it be that they need an older hen to teach them the ropes? Or is it that the days are getting shorter? Any ideas? I refuse to buy any more eggs at the store. [​IMG] UGH! [​IMG]

2. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Quote:I wondered the same thing when mine reached 22.5 weeks with no eggs. But instinct is an amazing thing. When they were ready, my girls started exploring the nest boxes--something that they had never previously done. And then, viola, an egg.

I still have one hold-out. She'll be 24 weeks tomorrow, but I have a suspicion she'll be starting any day now.

It's VERY hard to have patience. But when you have no choice, you wait. [​IMG]

Let us know when the eggs appear.

3. ChickenCraze

ChickenCraze New Egg

Jun 18, 2007
    I have 2 Ameraucanas and I've been axiously awaiting their eggs too. They are almost 22 weeks old but still no eggs. We also have one older bantam columbia rock who's 2yrs old and lays a few times a week.

4. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    My ameracaunas were hatched in april and still no eggs either. is it the breed? ErinM

5. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:I was wondering the same thing. [​IMG] I have 5 that were Hatched April 11 from Cackle Hatchery. They were labled as Araucana/Ameraucanas, so I guess they are really EE. They turned 24 wks old on Wed.
    Only one finally laid me a pretty olive egg a few days ago. I'm not sure which one. Only 2 out of the 5 seem to be showing signs that they are ready. They just seem to be maturing slower than my RIR & Silverlaced Wyandottes.

6. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I have 5 americaunas and 3 laid around 21 weeks and the other 2 started laying last week at 28 weeks. My cochins are 21 weeks and still not laying. I've been told they take a long time to mature.

7. hipmarye

Apr 12, 2007
    Mississippi
    That sure makes me feel a lot better. [​IMG]
    We're expecting 7, day old pullets next week so maybe they will take my mind off of the big girls for a while. [​IMG]

8. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:What kind are you getting? That's pretty exciting! Where are you getting them from?

Hang in there, you should get some colored eggs soon.

9. hipmarye

Apr 12, 2007
    Mississippi
    Smitty's Farm :

What kind are you getting? Where are you getting them from?

We're getting a Barred Rock, a Dominique, an Ameraucana, a golden laced Wyandotte, a Production Red, a buff Brahma and a light Brahma. They're coming from Ideal.​

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  10. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    How exciting to have the baby chics again and such a nice variety. That's so nice to be able to get just 7. Are you splitting a bigger order with someone, are they coming in the mail, or do you live close to the hatchery. You will have to post pics next week.

Keep us posted on the big girls and I bet they will lay soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by