23 Weeks And Counting!!!.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TwoCrows, Aug 16, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    4 Australorp girls...23 weeks old, red faces, combs and wattles. Fake eggs in the nest box, no squatting, no tearing up the nest box, not even PEEKING INSIDE the box! Nothing!! How much longer do I have to WAIT!!! [​IMG]

2. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    I feel your pain! I'm still waiting. lol

3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:We can cry together....[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Should I have them on layer feed now? I have been waiting for that first egg before feeding layer. I just bought some feed the other day. The look really ready to lay. Huge red combs, wattles and faces. Sigh....

5. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I have a couple at 25 or 26 weeks who haven't laid yet...an SLW and a Light Brahma. So I know how you feel. As for the feed question, you can, but it won't hurry things up. You can work through your grower feed or even leave them on it, as long as you make sure they have crushed oyster shell available. They'll eat it when they need it.

6. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    I put mine on layer at 20 weeks ...laying or not..

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:Thanks for the confidence here. I have heard that the really heavier breeds, such as Australorps and like your Brahma, don't mature as fast as the other breeds and will be late layers. I am new to chickens this year and of course that first egg can be so exciting LOL. I will continue to wait. Although not without some anxiety!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by