1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

23 Weeks Old - First Eggs HIDDEN!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kellypepperk, Sep 29, 2012.

1. kellypepperk

kellypepperk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2012
    Delaware County, NY
    We found our first chicken eggs today!! Hubby and I were spending some time with the chickers when we got home from running some errands and I noticed one of our Pixie Girls (a Rose Comb Brown Leghorn) sneaking under an old chair we had in the yard with some building material leaning against it. I thought hmmm... now, mind you - I told hubby just the day before that we should do a really thorough ground search because our girls should be laying by now. Anyways, I went over to the chair and leaned it up and sure enough there were FOUR beautiful little eggs!! Three brown ones and one white one. The Pixie girls are the only ones we have that lay the white eggs. I would LOVE to know who is laying! We have one Barred Rock that seems to have a bit of a wobbly comb, but no one really seems to be showing the classic
    I'm-laying-eggs-look."
    Needless to say we're over the moon about this! Now we need to figure out how to get them to lay in their nesting boxes! And, maybe our nesting boxes aren't up to snuff - I'll have to do some more reading on that subject...

Here are our FIRST EVER Chicken eggs and today's REALLY HUGE duck egg (this picture makes the duck egg look much smaller than it really is!)
    [​IMG]

2. beausonge

beausonge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2011
    Kelso, WA
    Congrats! It is so much fun to find those first eggs! We had the same thing happen with our Black Jersey Giant. We didn't expect her to lay for several months when my husband found nine small dark brown eggs up in the hay. All the other pullets had been laying in the nest boxes so we knew what their eggs looked like. She still lays in the stacks.

i have always kept fake plastic eggs in the nest boxes. It does seem to help them lay their eggs in the nest boxes. Right now I have all the nest boxes without eggs in them because I have a broody pullet determined to set. Now that the nests have no "eggs" in them we are finding eggs from the other chickens in the hay stacks. The broody is still setting.

Hope that helps.

3. 6littlechicks

6littlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Morgantown, PA
    Congrats!!! The brown do look like my barred rocks eggs.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!

5. kellypepperk

May 30, 2012
    Delaware County, NY
    We have fake eggs in the nesting buckets, but I'm wondering if they're too high? The buckets are about 36" off the floor with the roosts being even taller than that - and the most popular roost is probably 6' off the floor.

I've been reading about maybe keeping the girls in the coop until Noon or so. Any thougths on that? I would love to be able to walk in the coop and gather the eggs - not wonder if there are any hidden on the property...

6. kellypepperk

May 30, 2012
    Delaware County, NY
    we've made a little progress...
    while cleaning the coop today hubby found an egg under the table!

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You have a table in your coop?

8. OnewChook

OnewChook Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Wait?! A table?!

9. kellypepperk

May 30, 2012
    Delaware County, NY
    The table... [​IMG] a gift (dontation) from my boss who bought a new property that had a massive chicken coop (now a storage shed)

[​IMG]

This is an old picture before the roosts went up. We also have a slanted board over the buckets. Now we just have to put a board up in front of the buckets... only a couple of the bigger roosters (soon going in the freezer) stay on the roost under the table - all the others are up high...

10. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Aha..............now I get it. How funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by