23 Weeks Old, no eggs yet.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JKGooch, Nov 22, 2016.

1. JKGooch

JKGooch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2016
    This is our first time raising backyard chickens. We have a small flock of 4 buff orpington hens. 23 weeks old. They have been wonderful to keep, but so far no eggs. Am I doing something wrong? Two of our girls already have red combs and waddles. The other two are still small and pink. We live in south Georgia and it is still pretty warm here. Are there any tricks to help them along? [​IMG]

2. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    The best trick is to give them time. Two of them, especially the one of the left is definitely close to laying. Something you could try is put fake eggs in the nesting boxes to show them where to lay.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Orpington's aren't production bred birds, so your girls are right on track. This is pretty much the youngest age I'd expect them to start laying. The one looks pretty close, should have eggs in the next few weeks. The others are going to be a bit, yet. Being a slwoer to mature breed, I'd not expect eggs from them until 6-7 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by