23rd day, thought they were dead, candled and one is alive

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Loveoursilkies, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Loveoursilkies

Loveoursilkies Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    I only have 2 eggs left, this was our first time trying and we lost every fertile fully developed chick the day of hatch (over 20) or within 2 days of hatch, I am reading due to humidity. As of 5 days ago, the remaining 2 were set, on lockdown, alive, but, we just hit day 23, I thought we'd be opening more dead chicks, I candled, one is alive, not sure of the other, now what, did I just shrink wrap him by candling it for 30 seconds. I was careful to quickly open and shut the incubator, but, now it probably won't make it, right? So hopeful to have 1 or 2 live, of course, if only 1 lives, we understand we have to get it a buddy. I learned the hard way but thought for sure that by now it would be dead. Maybe it is just too weak to hatch. I hate these LG incubators. My daughter was so hopeful that she'd have more silkies for 4H (and now they are all dead). She has been very sad, me too, just wish I had money to buy a better incubator!

2. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    your chick should be fine. It takes several minutes for humidity and temperature to effect the inside of the egg shell. :) Some chicks take 25 days to hatch just cause they are a bit slow growing.

3. Loveoursilkies

Nov 21, 2012
    Thanks, I sure hope you are right. We are soooooooo very hopeful to have this little one. If not, we'll try again, we did learn many tactics the hard way, but this forum is wonderful and so we'll give it a better try the next time. My daughter is already saving more eggs, every single one we put in the incubator were fertile (even though they didn't make it), so our rooster is a busy boy. thanks again The incubator was only opened to candle this chick, the first opening since lockdown on day 18, hit day 23 this evening. Hope for success soon, but through all of this, we can't get our hopes up.

4. Becci

Becci Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    AL
    You're fine. You wouldn't have lost enough humidity to shrink wrap a non-pipped egg in that little bit of time. Just get the humidity up in the 'bator and ready for hatch. When/if your chicks hatch, I'd give them electrolytes or sugar water to give them a boost as Late hatchers are often weak. I prefer electrolytes over sugar, too many people have complained with "pasty butt" after giving sugar water.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Only give them this for the first day.[/FONT]

As for LGs, I have one myself. In fact, I've got two, and have used them over the past five years. Honestly they can be a pain. But, if you're patient with them and learn more about them they can actually be pretty decent incubators. I have good hatch rates with them, so I'll probably stick with them until they break down and won't work anymore, haha. Going for a Brinsea next. I posted links below that are super helpful. I swear by the cheat sheet. Boosted my hatch rates.
    LG Incubator Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/601352/little-giant-incubator-tricks

ChooksChick's Cheat Sheet
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubation-cheat-sheet

5. Loveoursilkies

Nov 21, 2012
    Nothing yet, 21st day started Sat. evening, so, now 24 days starting this evening, now doesn't look good, I haven't opened it, but, pretty sure they didn't make it, just like the entire batch. Hate seeing so many beautiful full grown chicks die, but, apparently this does happen to first time learners, like us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by