24 days and nothing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LongRanch, Jul 4, 2016.

1. LongRanch

LongRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2016
    Well we are at 24 days... Sometimes I think I see movement or hear something, but I'm pretty sure I am just imagining it. Is it that subtle? Both eggs tested as viable with a float test. How much longer do I wait before I give up and crack them open? This was a homemade incubator and temps did get low on occasion so I knew I'd prob go overdue.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Have you candled to see what's going on inside?

3. LongRanch

Apr 17, 2016
    No, I've tried but the eggs are too dark, can't see a thing.

4. LongRanch

Apr 17, 2016
    Day 25 and still nothing [​IMG] Should I just give up?

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I've had chicks hatch five days late so don't give up.

What has your temperature and humidity been throughout incubation?

6. LongRanch

Apr 17, 2016
    My temp has been good around 99-100 during the day when I can watch it, but have noticed it can get down to 97-98 at night sometimes. Our weather has been so up and down, on a hot day it's been hard for me to know that we are going to pour rain and get cold at night. Woes of a homemade incubator. Humidity has been much easier for me to control and I have always been able to keep it around 45-50 and I moved it up to 65 at day 18. I did break open an egg a week before they were due (long story) and there was a fully formed chick inside... Four others were not viable and were discarded.

7. LongRanch

Apr 17, 2016
    Well I gave in and cracked them... Not even the start of a chick in either one. Sadly, the one I broke open by mistake last week was probably the only one in the bunch that would have made it. The float test doesn't seem accurate at all. Hoping my other hatch (in my Hova bator) has better luck! I'm not expecting anything though as the eggs were 3 weeks old when they went in [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by