24 days. do i give up.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Twigs, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Twigs

Twigs Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Its been 24 days now. I need to open to top up water. do I give up. or still wait.
    no sign of pipping

This is my first go.

2. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    good luck and dont beat yourself up if they dont hatch just stick with it [​IMG]

3. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    What type of eggs? What is the hatch time for them?

4. Twigs

Twigs Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    3 blue orpingtons, 3 buff orpingtons. home made incubator 100deg 50% now as water needs topping up. this is day 24.

1 German shepherd, 1 parrot, 1 tortoise, 2 cats

5. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Well idk when hatch day is, is day 24 hatch day? If so, and there is no pipping then top off the water for humidity and leave it:) people keep assuring me it could be a late hatch. I am hatching buttons so my hatch date is at earlier than chickens.

6. Twigs

Twigs Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    21 days is hatch day,

7. Twigs

Twigs Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    At what point do you give up.

8. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    People tell me they have as late as 5 days late hatch.. This is MY first hatch.. But can you candle for movement? Or do a float test? There is a sticky on floating. There are mixed reviews about floating... But if you are unable to candle, it may be your next bet.

9. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    have you seen any signs of life at all? Any rocking, cheeping? What have your temps been throughout the process? Is your thermometer accurate? If temps have been ok and you trust your thermometer I would go ahead and open them up to check for any survivors. Good luck.

10. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    i would throw em out so u dont have any explode and have a rough incubator to clean. 21 days is the amount of time. RARELY do i have them hatch a day late and if they do it's only ONE day late. could you have miscounted? if not first try for me was a dud hatch and the eggs were all good. i just didnt have everything perfect. now i'v done it a billion times and dont think twice about my chicken eggs hatching. i'e crack a few open see if they are alive(or candle) but id crack em at this point. see what went wrong. if they are all dead but full developed then you may have had humitity too low. shells were too hard. or temps coulda been to high and killed/cooked them. [​IMG] it happens. either way if they arent a success dont get down on yourself. do it again. it'll work soon enough youll be hatching too many eggs [​IMG] CHICKENS WILL BE EVERYWHERE. [​IMG] [​IMG] YOULL SEE [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by