24% Game Bird Feed ?s

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by andreanar, Mar 7, 2015.

1. andreanar

andreanar Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    My hens are looking a bit ragged from this tough winter. Looking a bit thinner than I'd like. No worms, I dropped off a few samples at the vets to be looked at. One girl stopped laying after she was pecked in the head.
    I got them some sav a chick electrolytes and probiotics and picked up a bag of manna pro game bird feed 24% protein. Do y'all think this will get them looking better?
    No one appears sick. Just sick of winter.
    They will be a year old in May. Since they started laying I've noticed poop stuck on their butt feathers, can I cut those feathers off, do I have to worry about cutting any blood feathers?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Do they have a dust bath? That will help them to groom those dirty feathers. Yes, multi-flock is a wonderful way to give them a pick-me-up. I wouldn't go higher than the 24%, and might even want to cut it a bit with layer. If you mixed it 1:1 with layer, you'd end up with 20% protein. If you use multi-flock, be sure to give them oyster shell or some other calcium supplement.

3. andreanar

andreanar Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Yes, they have a big bin they dust bathe in. I always keep out some oyster shell and a little feeder full of grit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by