24 hour old duckling can't walk, but 7 hour old can?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thatduckguyy, Aug 16, 2011.

1. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    My duckling hatched last night and he still cant walk we tries to but falls over. it seems that one leg is strong but the other just slips and makes him roll around a slide all over the place.. Is this normal?

2. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
  3. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:nope, he falls on his side and kicks his legs alot. I think its he cant balance properly

4. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Shes doing alright! We are training her and helping her tok the feed bowl she can almost walk! We taught her to sit up and stand straight.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I had good luck with 2 poults that just sat and didn't move much. Like not get to food and water kind of sitting. I did PT to increase the leg strength. Maybe it would help with your duck.

I place my hand under the body, with 2 fingers between the legs then lift the poult up enough to get the legs off the ground, at which time it paddles like mad! I gave it a 15 second break, and then repeated this, for a total set of 3. Repeat this activity 6 plus times a day. I saw a huge improvement with in 24 hours. THis strengthens both sides equally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by