24 hour pip wrong end. HELP!!! PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jay1995, Apr 9, 2009.

1. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I have an egg that has pipped and did nothing so I broke a bit of the shell away. He is breathing and cheaping every now and then. He keeps moving around in the egg and making it shake. His chirping doesnt sound like a help me chirp. Should I help or no. He seems perfectly fine but just wont come out. Thanks, Jay

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    anyone, I dont want him to die

3. Scraps

Scraps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    Leave the bator shut and let him do it on his own. It can take 24 hours after the first pip so just let him do his thing!

4. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    if it is peeping and all I would leave it. I have had some take 2 days after pip to hatch helping it could be bad if it hasn't absorbed the yolk.

5. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

More often than not chicks hatching at the wrong end still hatch.
    Likelihood is that if you have picked away some shell the membrane will dry. You have a few alternatives. Keep watching through glass in hatcher; if membrane dries, mist with tepid water & see how it does. If opening during hatching it is essential to mist all of the eggs with tepid water to prevent loss of humidity. If it has been many hours one can slowly pick a bit more of the shell away. If any bleeding occurs stop immediately & leave for a couple of hours etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by