24 hours post pipped not hatched. Still breathing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wolfandfinch, Dec 6, 2013.

1. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Ok I had an egg pip at around 8am yesterday and it's been 24 hours. It's only got a small area cleared. I'm assuming it's time to consider assisting but I really don't want to unless it's absolutely necessary. Here's a pic of it. It's still breathing but don't want to doom it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's awfully pink in there, is it shrink wrapped so I don't see feathers or is it malformed?

2. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    It's suddenly quite active. I'm going to assume it only just started zipping and give it some more time. Thoughts still very much appreciated. Thanks support group!

3. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    It seems to have membrane stuck to it. Another egg has pipped so I don't want to open the bator unless I absolutely have to. I'm going to wait a little longer and hope for the best. If it hasn't made any progress by 11:15 (almost two hours from now) I will start assisting. It's in the middle of zipping and meets the criteria of that useful assisted hatch thread.

4. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    It was very wrapped but I didn't feel confident it was ready to hatch as it was very pink and swollen looking. I took away a lot of shell and membrane from the area within the aircell markings. There were no vessels present. I stopped there because the chick was very strong and I felt if it was ready to hatch it should be able to get out on its own. I will check back in a couple of hours in case it is so stuck to the membrane it can't get out of the shell. The only reason I'm assisting is that it was mid zip for three hours with absolutely no progress and the membrane was obviously stuck to it. I don't think it's a birth defect at this point. Good thoughts please!

Also I have two more pips. Yay!

5. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    [​IMG]

6. PaisyQ

PaisyQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2013
    SW Michigan
    How is the little one doing?

7. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    yikes, that does look dried out. did you have a humidity drop? opening the incubator when one is pipped can cause this.
    you can use a q-tip to dab small amounts of *warm* water on the membrane as you work to un-paste it from the feathers. Be careful to avoid the beak/nostril area.

8. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

It looks like its ready to hatch, can you pull the head up and see the navel, is the yolk absorbed?

9. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Thanks all. I think I did the right thing. As soon as I got the membrane in the air cell totally pulled away it popped itself right out. It's resting but also totally able to
    Move. It doesn't look as healthy as the two others but it's been under a lot of stress. I'll be keeping it under careful watch for the next little while but I think it will be ok.

10. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by